You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-09 12:45:12

daedalusman

no network in WinXP [FIXED]

Well I installed windows again so that I could play games more easily. After reinstalling arch and setting everything up, including grub I restart into windows and now I get network cable is unplugged error for my local area connection. In arch this works just fine no problem. I tried shutting down and letting the computer sit for a few minutes and then boot back to XP, no go there. I tried to power off and then unplug the system and then press the power button and then plug system back in and start up but the same thing there, no network in XP but arch is fine. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I had this same problem when I used SUSE a while back, nothing like this in ubuntu though. I kinda need internet XP so that I can download steam games and patches and what not. Thanks for any help here, let me know if you need to see some config files.

#2 2007-01-09 13:08:59

manmower

Re: no network in WinXP [FIXED]

Is it possible your ethernet card requires some specific driver? I have a VIA-Rhine ethernet card in one of our computers that I needed to install the driver for from CD in Windows for it to work. In Arch you probably wouldn't notice this as the required modules are automatically loaded.

#3 2007-01-09 14:29:55

daedalusman

Yeah, I have the driver installed. It was connecting originally before I installed arch.

#4 2007-01-09 16:12:56

skeeter

What does "ipconfig" show when run from cmd window?
Are you behind a router using dhcp or assigning a static IP?
If dhcp have you tried "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew"?
If you have an IP address for the computer can you ping the router IP?
If so can you ping your service DNS server; if so try pinging yahoo or etc to verify DNS service is up?

You have probably already tried these but I didn't note just where your problem was occuring.  :?:

Skeeter

Rule #1:  There are NO RULES!

#5 2007-01-09 23:11:25

daedalusman

skeeter wrote:

What does "ipconfig" show when run from cmd window?
Are you behind a router using dhcp or assigning a static IP?
If dhcp have you tried "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew"?
If you have an IP address for the computer can you ping the router IP?
If so can you ping your service DNS server; if so try pinging yahoo or etc to verify DNS service is up?

You have probably already tried these but I didn't note just where your problem was occuring.  :?:

Actually I didn't even know to do these things. Thanks for the help I will try these things and see what happens next time I boot to windows.

EDIT
When I type ipconfig in it tells me that the network cable is unplugged. Because of this I can't release/renew my ip address or really anything with the network card. Could it be that when arch shuts down its not releasing the ip and so widows cant then use that ip. Our router is setup to use dhcp but we have made it so that each mac address always gets the same ip address, this works best with bittorrent and our routers firewall. What are your thoughts on this.

#6 2007-01-10 20:08:20

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

daedalusman wrote:

EDIT
Could it be that when arch shuts down its not releasing the ip and so widows cant then use that ip. Our router is setup to use dhcp but we have made it so that each mac address always gets the same ip address, this works best with bittorrent and our routers firewall. What are your thoughts on this.

That should not be a problem, i've had a dual-boot arch/windows for a while and used the same setup.

could you post the output of ipconfig -all  ?

It would also help if you could open network places > properties and make  a screenshot of it. That will tell us what networkconnections windows thinks you have.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7 2007-01-10 23:22:25

arew264
Website

If the drivers are find and Windows isn't inventing any extra interfaces, you may need to reset the WinSock. I have heard of it doing funny things like this, but I wouldn't expect it after a reinstall.

Have you been running any antivirus/antispyware scans and if so have they found anything lately?

EDIT: For that screenshot, the window he is talking about can get obtained by opening my network places and clicking on view network connections on the left

or by going into the control panel and double clicking on network connections.

Board footer