You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-10 12:49:03

CyRiX_BlAcK

Slackware to Arch server switch questions

I want to have this setup, with all PCs running arch:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/ … SYSTEM.jpg

I currently run NTL and the modem has a eathernet port on it so its all easy and good with my slackware server DHCP on one network card and fixed IP on the other.

But I have to have a ADSL line in new house with tiscali and I cant see any of their modems that are not USB. So is there a "how to" for USB modems?

Is it easy to setup the above network?

The slack server is a firewall (rc.firewall script etc) and a samba share and thats about it.... it forwards some ports here and there but nothing else.

I have never used arch as a server so I have no idea what im suppose to do etc, even if I had 2 network cards I have no idea how to tell one to be DHCP and other fixed IP in rc.conf etc.... do I just have another section from the 2nd network card?

#2 2007-01-10 13:23:05

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Slackware to Arch server switch questions

CyRiX_BlAcK wrote:

But I have to have a ADSL line in new house with tiscali and I cant see any of their modems that are not USB. So is there a "how to" for USB modems?

I don't know anything about tiscali, but if USB is all they can give you, I would strongly recommend getting your own ethernet gear - it will save you a lot of hassle IMO.

CyRiX_BlAcK wrote:

do I just have another section from the 2nd network card?

Basically yes. You will have eth0= and eth1= lines with the appropriate parameters, followed by

INTERFACES=(lo eth0 eth1)

#3 2007-01-11 12:35:45

CyRiX_BlAcK

Re: Slackware to Arch server switch questions

furry muff then, thanks for the info.

Anyone recommend a stand alone adsl eathernet modem with a link?

dont want a router though coz the servers doing that, just a modem...

dabs or ebuyer etc prefered

Board footer