You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-17 14:56:26

bugbearcurious

How to prevent applications from exceeding DBus limits?

I have an application that runs from startup that continuously makes the DBus limits exceeded.
Then I cannot restart WiFi, Bluetooth or anything else that uses DBus.
The whole system comes to a functional halt.

What can I do to prevent that?

I login to a shell and do a `startx` and that's the place from where all processes start.

I did try increasing some limits, but they had no effects.

I can understand it is a bug in the program, but I'd rather that program dies than my whole system coming to a halt.

#2 2023-08-18 09:48:01

xerxes_

Re: How to prevent applications from exceeding DBus limits?

How do you know that this app makes the DBus limits exceeded? What error, by what and how is returned?

#3 2023-08-18 16:09:17

bugbearcurious

dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.LimitsExceeded happens on a variety of apps, wifi, bluetooth, audio.
The whole machine can no longer restart almost anything I find useful. So even if bluetooth was running, if I restart it, it won't do it.

I know that this app behaves bad because when I turn off just this single app I can now open everything that I could not before.
If this app is not running I never encounter this issue.

Last edited by bugbearcurious (2023-08-18 16:09:57)

#4 2023-08-18 18:28:24

seth

I have an application that runs from startup that continuously makes the DBus limits exceeded.
What can I do to prevent that?

Don't run it?

You might want to get a bit more specific on what that process actually is, why you're running it and what it does to spam the bus (you can use dbus-monitor to, well, monitor it)

I can understand it is a bug in the program, but I'd rather that program dies than my whole system coming to a halt.

So kill it.
You could kludge a cronjob that tests the relevant bus every couple of seconds and on failure kill your troublesome process.
Of you just don't run that itfp since it's obviously not important if you just want to kill it itfp.

#5 2023-08-22 08:59:01

bugbearcurious

Thanks for the suggestions. I monitored the system a bit and will be able to come up with a restart condition.

The app is an old version of uTorrent running under wine.

#6 2023-08-22 13:13:17

seth

Why are we running an old version of a windows torrent client?
There're countless native ones, some are described in the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Category:BitTorrent

You're probably running into some other limits, though  - I doubt that a windows torrent client uses dbus, it's likely some more generic socket(?) quota and dbus falls victim to that.

Board footer