You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-30 12:26:08

pressh
Developer/TU

networkmanager and pppoe

I'm trying to let networkmanager work nicely together with my pppoe connection, which I use at home. As the Arch version of the networkmanager does not handle dial up connections, networkmanager should take care of the eth0 connection (local network if plugged in) and wireless networks (if available). Then I would like to use rppppoek for calling pppoe-start/pppoe-stop/pppoe-status.

Well that's where the problems start. rppppoek does indeed dial my pppoe connection, and connects to it (as it seems, als calling /etc/rc.d/adsl start from the commandline connects), however it is simply not working.
My guess this is a problem with the route, but I don't know how to solve it with this networkmanager neutral

Any help pls.

daemons.log

Jan 30 13:10:53 laptop-pressh pppd[3575]: pppd 2.4.4 started by root, uid 0
Jan 30 13:10:53 laptop-pressh pppd[3575]: Using interface ppp0
Jan 30 13:10:53 laptop-pressh pppd[3575]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/4
Jan 30 13:10:53 laptop-pressh pppoe[3576]: PADS: Service-Name: ''
Jan 30 13:10:53 laptop-pressh pppoe[3576]: PPP session is 14470 (0x3886)
Jan 30 13:10:55 laptop-pressh pppd[3575]: CHAP authentication succeeded: CHAP authentication success, unit 1898
Jan 30 13:10:55 laptop-pressh pppd[3575]: CHAP authentication succeeded
Jan 30 13:10:55 laptop-pressh pppd[3575]: Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP
Jan 30 13:10:55 laptop-pressh pppd[3575]: local  IP address 145.94.74.217
Jan 30 13:10:55 laptop-pressh pppd[3575]: remote IP address 145.94.1.0

rc.conf

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo !eth0 !wifi0 !wlan0)
#
# Routes to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each route then list in ROUTES
#   - prefix an entry in ROUTES with a ! to disable it
#
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus hal dhcdbd networkmanager !network netfs crond powersaved)

#2 2007-02-01 01:53:15

mutlu_inek

Re: networkmanager and pppoe

Just as a disclaimer: I never used pppoe and cannot really assist you.

But AFAIK NetworkManager does not support pppoe yet, it is being worked on and may be part of the next release.

To satisfy my curiosity: how did you plan to coordinate the two programs?

Also: NetworkManager will handle neither wifi0 nor wlan0 if they are not assigned the value "dhcp" as you did for eth0.

Last edited by mutlu_inek (2007-02-01 01:53:59)

#3 2007-02-01 10:07:37

pressh
Developer/TU

mutlu_inek wrote:

But AFAIK NetworkManager does not support pppoe yet, it is being worked on and may be part of the next release.

That's what I've read. Do you know how opensusse managed to get support for pppoe in knm ?

mutl_inek wrote:

To satisfy my curiosity: how did you plan to coordinate the two programs?

Well, as you said nm can't manage my adsl (pppoe) connection and only start eth0, I was planning to add 'yet another' icon in my system tray, called rppppoek, which calls pppoe-start, pppoe-stop and pppoe-status.
Well that is the part that is not working. If I start nm, I can bring my pppoe connection up, but that is about it. It says it is up, also '/etc/rc.d/adsl start' brings it up, but it just does not work.
Killing nm and related, and doing a '/etc/rc.d/network start' and '/etc/rc.d/adsl start' gives me a working pppoe connection.

mutlu_inek wrote:

Also: NetworkManager will handle neither wifi0 nor wlan0 if they are not assigned the value "dhcp" as you did for eth0.

I didn't know that, I will add them. Having a laptop is new for me so I have to figure those things out (it's probably only next week I first try my wireless connection so I didn't quite noticed that it wasn't working lol)

Well, knm is a nice tool when I started using it 2 weeks ago on opensuse (i was scared to put arch straight ahead on my laptop), but well, I couldn't enjoy the using of the rpm hell after using so long arch, so I switched my laptop over to Arch 2 days ago, but now this knm is giving me some royal pain in the rump.
I even thought about using kinternet, but that project seems dead (and cannot find it anymore, just rpms) in favor of knetworkmanager.

So I guess I don't have much choice in letting knm manage my wireless and eth0, and then rppppoek for my pppoe connection. That is, if i can make them work together.

#4 2007-02-02 14:31:40

mutlu_inek

pressh wrote:

Do you know how opensusse managed to get support for pppoe in knm ?

Maybe they get stuff from cvs/svn? You might want to try that out. There is a general problem, though: networkmanager highly depends on dbus functionality. NM evolves parallely and you need certain dbus versions to have NM running.

pressh wrote:

If I start nm, I can bring my pppoe connection up, but that is about it. It says it is up, also '/etc/rc.d/adsl start' brings it up, but it just does not work.
Killing nm and related, and doing a '/etc/rc.d/network start' and '/etc/rc.d/adsl start' gives me a working pppoe connection.

NM seizes all control over the networkcards you tell it to manage. If you apply changes or want to run other programs you have to - just as you wrote - kill NM first. However, while it is very unlikely, it might be that this is a nameserver issue. NM automatically add nameservers to /etc/resolv.conf. It you manually connect the pppoe way, NM should use a new nameserver (and possibly new routes). But it cannot know about it. It could be that meddling with /etc/dhclient.conf could help you. The files is used by NM (ar rather dhcpd) to setup those kinds of things. You can force additional/alternative nameservers, etc.

#5 2009-01-25 13:31:06

Zibi1981

So it wasn't possible to use NetworkManager to handle ppp* connections back in 2007, bu is it now?
I'm using Arch64 and occasionally I'm connected to an ADSL line (PPPoA) via SpeedTouch 330 modem. Have anyone succeeded with making NetowrkManager to handle this sort of connection?

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed."

MSI Raider GE78HX 13VI-032PL

#6 2009-01-25 18:15:07

pressh
Developer/TU

I think you can now (at least with the gnome frontend which is more feature complete than the plasmoid one). I just quickly glanced at it earlier today and it was able to connect. Though it was overwriting my DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf which I need for my internet to work. I suppose there is a way around it modifying that file but haven't checked into it.

#7 2009-01-25 20:41:03

mutlu_inek

pressh wrote:

I think you can now (at least with the gnome frontend which is more feature complete than the plasmoid one). I just quickly glanced at it earlier today and it was able to connect. Though it was overwriting my DNS server in /etc/resolv.conf which I need for my internet to work. I suppose there is a way around it modifying that file but haven't checked into it.

If you use the networkmanager-gnome gui, select "edit connections", choose the wireless connection you need to change or add it. Under ipv4 settings, choose "automatic (dhcp) addresses only" and add your dns server.

The kde plasmoid will get there, too, but you need to give it a little more time. Just two, three weeks ago it wouldn't even connect.

Board footer