You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-14 18:39:23

mepstein

[SOLVED] NetworkManager error trying to connect to VPN, ... issue?

I'm using Cinnamon with NetworkManager and NetworkManager-OpenConnect, and when I try to connect to a VPN I've set up, using the applet on the menu bar, it instantly gives me the error message "The VPN connection failed because there were no valid VPN secrets" -- it doesn't even give me a chance to enter my username/password.  I believe the problem is related to gnome-keyring -- i.e., it's trying to look for the password there, but not finding it, so it just fails.  On another system I have, with essentially the same config, this all works fine -- the dialog box for the password opens up (with the settings remembered), and I can connect.  And I found some python code to check the gnome-keyring settings, and it is the case that the password exists on the working system but not the one that fails.

So, does it make sense that the problem is related to gnome-keyring?  If so, how can I fix it?  For example, how I can tell NetworkManager not to use gnome-keyring, at least initially, so I can enter the username/password?  Or is there some other way to enter the password into gnome-keyring?  And if the problem is not related to gnome-keyring, what could it be, how can I troubleshoot/fix it?

I tried removing the VPN setup and re-adding it, but same problem.

I can connect with nmcli, but using the gui would be much more convenient.

Thanks.

Last edited by mepstein (2024-03-15 20:13:21)

#2 2024-03-15 20:04:11

mepstein

Re: [SOLVED] NetworkManager error trying to connect to VPN, ... issue?

Solved!  In searching around on this some more, I came across this post, which sounded very similar to the problem I was having:

NetworkManager applet don't asked username and password openconnect
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=288757

And this post pointed to:

VPN fails with 'no valid secrets' after upgrading to 1.2.10-1
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/NetworkM … issues/101

which contained the comment:

Had the same problem on Arch Linux. Installing the optional dependency webkit2gtk-4.1 fixed it for me. Note that you might already have webkit2gtk version 2.42.1 installed, but it is not the same, webkit2gtk-4.1 is a separate package.

And installing that package fixed the problem for me (and I checked my other system which didn't have this problem, and this package was already installed there).  Guess it's not really so optional.

Board footer