You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-16 16:22:06

VecchiaZimarra
Member
Registered: 2023-03-16
Posts: 32

Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

Hello,

I am unable to start Arch from USB Live due to the fact that the system floods me with several USB port errors like this:
"usb 1-8: device not accepting address 68, error -71",  this behavior seems not to be devastating with other distros that use a graphics engine with a self-installing system, which allow access to the shell.
Im looking for some advice or an alternative solution to solve or work around the problem.


here an illustrative screen : https://imgur.com/a/wHPK6gV





here last dmesg report : https://hastebin.com/share/aqefozerev.yaml


tnx

Last edited by VecchiaZimarra (2024-06-16 16:27:09)

Offline

#2 2024-06-18 01:12:00

js-384
Member
Registered: 2024-06-14
Posts: 3

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

if just using a different usb port doesnt work:
i had issues myself shutting windows down "normally" before using my arch media
my workaround was just to hold the power button with windows running to force shutdown (idk if thats the right terminology) and then boot from usb. that did work for me but windows did have to chkdsk once or twice after arch was installed (minor corruption). so be wary of this method ig

Last edited by js-384 (2024-06-18 01:19:00)

Offline

#3 2024-06-18 01:30:47

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 29,859
Website

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

If it has fully booted and the error is indeed not critical, then just switch to another tty: press Alt+F2 or Alt+F3, then login there and proceed with the installation.


"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

Offline

#4 2024-06-18 13:18:22

VecchiaZimarra
Member
Registered: 2023-03-16
Posts: 32

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

Trilby wrote:

If it has fully booted and the error is indeed not critical, then just switch to another tty: press Alt+F2 or Alt+F3, then login there and proceed with the installation.

Nope Friend, It's precisely in tty mode that happens these damned usb errors

Offline

#5 2024-06-18 16:40:03

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 19,988

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

Trilby; I think that is Ctrl-Alt-F2 (or F3)

But, they should only show on tty1.  tty2,3,4,... should not be reporting these errors.   
Did they show on tty2 after pressing Ctrl-Alt-F2 ?


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#6 2024-06-18 17:05:31

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 54,186

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

Subscribing with the useless enrd-fact that "ctrl+" is only strictly needed from GUI display servers - the console can switch w/o (but in reality and because of muscle memory most people will always just use ctrl+alt+Fx)

Offline

#7 2024-06-18 19:50:19

VecchiaZimarra
Member
Registered: 2023-03-16
Posts: 32

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

ewaller wrote:

Trilby; I think that is Ctrl-Alt-F2 (or F3)

But, they should only show on tty1.  tty2,3,4,... should not be reporting these errors.   
Did they show on tty2 after pressing Ctrl-Alt-F2 ?


they occur on all ttys from 1 to 10

Offline

#8 2024-06-18 20:20:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 29,859
Website

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

Odd - I suspect there is a kernel parameter that could silence the message (specifically USB io messages), but that is a school of magic to which I've never devoted much study.  You can use a sledge hammer approach of loglevel=X where X is a number (lower is more silent).  A quick test with loglevel=0 could confirm whether this approach can work - if so, I'd not advise sticking with zero, but you could adjust as needed (although if it's just to get through the install, loglevel=0 should be fine).

Last edited by Trilby (2024-06-18 20:22:40)


"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

Offline

#9 2024-06-18 20:39:32

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 54,186

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

https://man.archlinux.org/man/core/util … en#OPTIONS
"dmesg -D" / "dmesg -E"

At some point you want to figure what usb 1-8 actually is and address that issue.

Offline

#10 2024-06-18 21:35:52

VecchiaZimarra
Member
Registered: 2023-03-16
Posts: 32

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

Trilby wrote:

Odd - I suspect there is a kernel parameter that could silence the message (specifically USB io messages), but that is a school of magic to which I've never devoted much study.  You can use a sledge hammer approach of loglevel=X where X is a number (lower is more silent).  A quick test with loglevel=0 could confirm whether this approach can work - if so, I'd not advise sticking with zero, but you could adjust as needed (although if it's just to get through the install, loglevel=0 should be fine).



With GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet loglevel=0 MCE=OFF " now i can switch to tty tt3 tt4 etc, but only  on installed system.
From live USB the problem obviously remains

Offline

#11 2024-06-18 21:39:13

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 54,186

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

You can pass kernel commandline paramters at the bootloader prompt of the iso - select an entry and press "e"

Offline

#12 2024-06-18 21:48:38

VecchiaZimarra
Member
Registered: 2023-03-16
Posts: 32

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

seth wrote:

https://man.archlinux.org/man/core/util … en#OPTIONS
"dmesg -D" / "dmesg -E"

At some point you want to figure what usb 1-8 actually is and address that issue.

Excuse me Seth, in but how can I determine what this damn door 1-8 is plugged to?

Offline

#13 2024-06-18 21:56:10

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 54,186

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

tail /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-8/id*

but depending on how and where this fails this may just block or post some garbage/placeholder - in that case you'd have to check this from an OS/kernel (the LTS one might now show this behavior) where the device doesn't act up.

Offline

#14 2024-06-18 22:04:11

VecchiaZimarra
Member
Registered: 2023-03-16
Posts: 32

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

seems that this port 1-8 does not exist in my system

https://pasteboard.co/pIx5V1UMvudU.png

Offline

#15 2024-06-19 06:54:52

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 54,186

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

It doesn't respond to the setup, is this on arch or one of the systems where the error doesn't appear?
If you're not missing any external devices, webcam fingerprint reader and bluetooth are frequently attached via usb, some soud chips, sometimes wifi.

Do you have a windows installation?

Offline

#16 2024-06-20 18:25:55

VecchiaZimarra
Member
Registered: 2023-03-16
Posts: 32

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

seth wrote:

It doesn't respond to the setup, is this on arch or one of the systems where the error doesn't appear?
If you're not missing any external devices, webcam fingerprint reader and bluetooth are frequently attached via usb, some soud chips, sometimes wifi.

Do you have a windows installation?


Hi Seth,

I can't localize any missing internal or external devices.  I haven't plugged any external devices.
I tried to exclude all peripherals and USB ports via UEFI bios but nothing happens!

i nevver installed windows on this machine,

Offline

#17 2024-06-20 19:31:55

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 54,186

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

When you compare the output of "lsusb -tv" on a system that does not have the error and your arch installation, are there any differences?

Offline

#18 2024-06-20 22:02:21

VecchiaZimarra
Member
Registered: 2023-03-16
Posts: 32

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

seth wrote:

When you compare the output of "lsusb -tv" on a system that does not have the error and your arch installation, are there any differences?

here lsusb -tv in arch https://ctrl.vi/i/dueBVDMhX



here in grml https://ctrl.vi/i/U87jwfPAR

Offline

#19 2024-06-20 22:39:13

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 54,186

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

Please don't post pictures of text, post the text.

I assume the Phison usb-key is the grml iso?
What is the 2/4GB DataTraveler that only shows up in the arch boot?

Edit:
Can you

tail /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-8/id*

on the grml boot?

Last edited by seth (2024-06-20 22:41:37)

Offline

#20 2024-06-21 07:01:41

VecchiaZimarra
Member
Registered: 2023-03-16
Posts: 32

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

seth wrote:

Please don't post pictures of text, post the text.

sorry for that.

I assume the Phison usb-key is the grml iso?
What is the 2/4GB DataTraveler that only shows up in the arch boot?

Edit:
Can you

tail /sys/bus/usb/devices/1-8/id*

on the grml boot?



precisely as on arch devices 1-8 does not exist, it stops at 1-7

Offline

#21 2024-06-21 15:27:48

seth
Member
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 54,186

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

If there're no errors that means it completely ignores the device or the arch kernel picks up some ghost.
Did you check the behavior of the LTS kernel?

Offline

#22 2024-06-24 08:28:17

VecchiaZimarra
Member
Registered: 2023-03-16
Posts: 32

Re: Impossible install Arch from live USB due continuous usb error

seth wrote:

If there're no errors that means it completely ignores the device or the arch kernel picks up some ghost.
Did you check the behavior of the LTS kernel?


this behavior (ghost usb) happens with all kernels: lts hardened zen linux etc

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB