You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-12 14:48:32

OreoTenders

Systemd-boot install gets stuck at "Reboot into firmware interface"

Hey all, sorry to bug you.
I've been trying to install arch linux on a virtual machine using Oracle VM, just for the learning experience of it, and I've learnt a ton.
However one problem continues to vex me; I have followed the official setup guide at https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Installation_guide to a T, only skipping the font config and appending nano to the list of packages to get installed by pacstrap. I read on the forum that apparently systemd-boot is much simpler that GRUB and works just as well, so I figured I would give it a spin, but I have had no luck on either. I also followed this official doc on how to install and config systemd-boot: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd-boot.

No matter what I try, I always end up with a screen showing a menu with one button: "reboot into firmware interface". I had a look around at similar posts on the forum, but couldn't find anything that helped, does anyone have an Idea what might be going on?
here are the system details:
sda1: 1 GB, EFI system partition, mounted at /mnt/boot
sda2: 5 GB, Linux Swap partition
sda3: 34 GB, Linux Root partition, mounted at /mnt

boot folder contents in /mnt; EFI, initramfs-linux-fallback.img, initramfs-linux.img, loader, vmlinuz-linux

Tree structure of /mnt/boot (sda1):
|_EFI
|  |_BOOT
|  |        |_BOOTX64.EFI
|  |
|  |_Linux
|  |_systemd
|           |_systemd-bootx64.efi
|_initramfs-linux-fallback.img
|_initramfs-linux.img
|_loader
|  |_entries
|  |_entries.srel
|  |_loader.conf
|  |_random-seed
|_vmlinuz-linux

Sorry if I haven't provided a key piece of info, just ask and I'll append it, any suggestions are greatly appreciated smile

Last edited by OreoTenders (2024-07-12 15:01:16)

#2 2024-07-12 15:06:57

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Systemd-boot install gets stuck at "Reboot into firmware interface"

OreoTenders wrote:

I also followed this official doc on how to install and config systemd-boot: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd-boot

Please share the full configuration files created for systemd-boot. See also https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855.

Looks like the configuration for an Arch menu entry is missing: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System … ng_loaders

#3 2024-07-13 02:18:07

OreoTenders

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
OreoTenders wrote:

I also followed this official doc on how to install and config systemd-boot: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Systemd-boot

Please share the full configuration files created for systemd-boot. See also https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57855.

Looks like the configuration for an Arch menu entry is missing: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/System … ng_loaders

Thanks for your suggestion that the Arch menu entry was missing, I looked at the document you proposed and managed to create a entry for it, and everything seems to run fine now. thank you!

#4 2024-07-13 05:10:53

cryptearth

OreoTenders wrote:

systemd-boot is much simpler than GRUB

funny enough enough I'm currently working on a list of why it is the other way around:
for grub you run two commands: install and mkconfig - and usually you're good to go on both a fresh install from chroot as well as when switching bootloadersw
for all other of the listed loaders one has to do the config manual - for some even the install and some, like refind, even create bad configs when run in chroot during install
tldr: on a scale from potato to fries grub is the simplest

#5 2024-07-13 11:35:20

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

OreoTenders wrote:

everything seems to run fine now

Glad you got it working. Please edit the thread title and prepend [SOLVED] to help others who encounter this problem.

cryptearth[/quote wrote:

grub is the simplest

Not really smile

Just add this line to /etc/mkinitcpio.d/*.preset:

default_uki="/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi"

Reinstalling the kernel will then place the UKI at the removable loader location, which will boot in the absence of any NVRAM entries, and it needs no further configuration if the root partition has the appropriate GUID (4F68BCE3-E8CD-4DB1-96E7-FBCAF984B709).

EDIT: that's from my system, the ESP is mounted under /efi/, adjust to fit your configuration.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2024-07-13 11:36:33)

#6 2024-07-13 11:57:12

cryptearth

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
cryptearth wrote:

grub is the simplest

Not really smile

Just add this line to /etc/mkinitcpio.d/*.preset:

default_uki="/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi"

Reinstalling the kernel will then place the UKI at the removable loader location, which will boot in the absence of any NVRAM entries, and it needs no further configuration if the root partition has the appropriate GUID (4F68BCE3-E8CD-4DB1-96E7-FBCAF984B709).

EDIT: that's from my system, the ESP is mounted under /efi/, adjust to fit your configuration.

To me, this is already WAY too much effort for something that should be as simple as just running TWO lines as with grub!

objective comparison:

grub:
grub-install
grub-mkconfig

your way:
edit some maybe-altered-by-pacman file with a path specific to your setup (so: not universal!)
run mkinitcpio at install (usually not required)
your specific instructions are specific to mkinitpcio and requires supporting for a UKI - not universal at all

If I may: In which way you disagree with that grub is simpler than your approach? Especially in regards to being universal usable - as in: run the exact same command copy'n'paste without requirement to change it according to a specific system?

#7 2024-07-13 12:04:07

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Looks like we have different definitions for "simple". I'll stop now so as not to hijack this thread further, apologies to the OP.

#8 2024-07-13 18:08:36

cryptearth

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Looks like we have different definitions for "simple". I'll stop now so as not to hijack this thread further, apologies to the OP.

if you want to say "where's the problem with listing the root partions UUID with lsblk and put that into a config file?" - well, nothing, and yes, at least so far I agree with you, that's not "hard" (as the opposite to "easy"/"simple")
my point is: it shouldn't be necessary/required - and even more so when there're alternatives that provide exactly that kind of automation for us

or to refer to "work smart, not hard": when following the install guid and chose systemd or uki for example: at least once you have to run something like lsblk to get the required uuid to set as the root parameter - no matter if you put it in the cmdline of a uki or in the bootentry for efistub or in the config for systemd or refind - you always have to it - and then you have to use that information to create a config contain it with the correct syntax (which I do something like this: lsblk -n -o UUID /dev/partition > config)
so you end up with
- installing the bootloader
- get the uuid
- edit some config
that's already one step more than just calling grub-mkconfig - and it comes with the risk of you messing up the config while grub-mkconfig ensures a clean working one
for your example of uki:
- edit mkinitcpio.conf
- create /etc/cmdline.d/root.conf
- call mkinitcpio
again: at least one more step more with two possibilities to screw up
same goes for efistub, systemd-boot and refind - with refind actually being some offender by not working correctly in the archiso chroot at all

so, a simple "we disagree on our definitions of 'simple'" is a bit very thin of a statement when pretty much every other bootloader than grub requires at least one additional step with the possibility to screw it up - it's the level of why someone came up with archinstall: "although I know the long hard way step by step - lets automate some of that" - and it's exactly that partial automation that grub-mkconfig offers over all other bootloaders

saying "grub is the simples" may is subjective - and a better phrasing would be "is simpler than all other alternatives - due to less steps to screw yourself up" - but hey - I guess we now ended up back at the discussion why there's no editor at all in the base package instead of just including both nano and vim: because people have the choice and at all times someone feeld offended no matter what
I just gave a reasonable objective way how I ended up with "grub is easy/simple" for myself - if you feel "nah, doin the configs myself" fits you better - be my guest - but at least come up with a bit more than just "yea, we agree to disagree here" - that's not how to argue - or how not to argue - or how to not argue - damn english language ... nevermind

#9 2024-07-13 20:21:54

ewaller
Administrator

This thread seems to have been solved.  OreoTenders, through no fault of your own, this thread has taken on a bit of life of its own.  I am going to close it now, if you want it reopened, go ahead and use the report link and drop the moderators a note to that effect.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer