You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-13 17:58:03

Faust-Coder
Website

Arch Print Server

Howdy Architects!!!

I'm wanting to make a Arch print server at my job cause theSuse9.3(was there before i was)
isnt working out to well. Yes it manages the printing ok but say if the printer gets turned off, the only way to get the printer back is to go thru YaST(which i hate) and re-add it. I know there has to be a way for cups to "refresh" and keep up/mange the printers better. I have about 70 MS boxes and 9 network printers. So you can imagine the problems this causes when i have to restart YaST(restarts the print manager). Anyways if anyone feels like throwing out some good well written documents it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

#2 2007-02-13 18:45:47

ralvez
Website

Re: Arch Print Server

Did you ever try to restart cups remotely with :

/etc/rc.d/cups restart

Naturally, you need to have ssh access to the box (so you can do it from your office wink) and you have to be root to issue the command. Unless, of course, you add yourself to the sudoes list in the print server.

Hope this helps.

#3 2007-02-13 20:52:51

Faust-Coder
Website

i will do that "if" it was a arch server. At the moment its Suse, which im not to familiar with. What im asking (i should learn to be more clear) is has anyone set up Arch as a print server ? If they have please post any useful documents, links, etc. I want to as soon as possible set the box up Arch style. Reasons I want to use arch is due to...
1) Stable
2) I use it already
3) Arch ISN'T bloated
4) Easy for ME to admin

I dont want to have to learn Suse just for a print server. So i hope that clears up the confusion.
Thanks.

Last edited by Faust-Coder (2007-02-13 20:54:32)

#4 2007-02-13 23:03:54

ralvez
Website

To set up a printer server (in any variation of Linux) you need to set up samba and then set up the printer section on the samba.conf
Here you will find an example of how to do so using Arch:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUP … er_Sharing

By the way the command I suggested previously should work on any variation of linux too, should "cups" not be in /etc/rc.d/ you just find it with the command "whereis cups".

Hope this helps.

R

#5 2007-02-13 23:21:11

zeus
Website

ralvez wrote:

To set up a printer server (in any variation of Linux) you need to set up samba and then set up the printer section on the samba.conf
Here you will find an example of how to do so using Arch:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUP … er_Sharing

oh no. Winows can print directly to web printer. see section: "Windows 2000 and Windows XP to Linux"

#6 2007-02-13 23:38:25

ralvez
Website

zeus,

That is a non-authenticated way to do it, and mostly good for a home use. If I understand the posting he is in a corporate network where he will be required more control.
At any rate, both options are explained in the url I'm sending.

R

Board footer