You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-14 00:04:40

superdood

Weird wireless issue... (sort of working)

I'm fairly new to Arch Linux, after having used Ubuntu and Mepis for a few months. The install went well, so the next step is getting online. For me, this is with a rt2500usb based adapter (specifically a Zonet ZEW2500P).  After several attempts, I finally got wireless Internet to work with the CVS rt2x00 driver. However, the problem I am having is that it does not autostart. When the boot process is attempting to start the network, it says that it cannot start due to the network being down!  Seeing as I had to do "ifconfig rausb0 up" before anything would work, I figured that might be the problem.

Long story short: is there a way I can set a script to automatically perform "ifconfig rausb0 up" before it attempts to set network settings?

#2 2007-05-14 04:47:37

murffatksig

Re: Weird wireless issue... (sort of working)

The network rc script goes through the devices and runs

ifconfig <interface> up

So it sounds like maybe you don't have the module loaded when the network scripts are running.  In your /etc/rc.conf file, do you have rt2x00 included in the MODULES=() line?

"Oh, they have the internet on computers now."

#3 2007-05-14 05:29:26

superdood

I have rt2570 in MODULES=().

#4 2007-05-14 08:47:32

hacosta

what steps do you (manually) take to get a working network?

#5 2007-05-14 20:37:42

superdood

First, I get the CVS tarball of the rt2x00 driver and compile it (make) then I install it (make install, which automatically does "depmod -a"). Then, I do "modprobe rt2570," and by this time the LED on the adapter is on (a good sign!).

I can activate Internet access by doing "ifconfig rausb0 up" then "iwconfig rausb0 mode managed essid MYESSID key XXXXXXXXXX" then "dhcpcd rausb0."

However, I am not quite sure how to get this to automatically be done at boot time, except by putting the last three commands in /etc/rc.local (this is the workaround I have been using).

If I put the following in /etc/rc.conf

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
rausb0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo rausb0)

and put the following in /etc/conf.d/wireless

wlan_rausb0="rausb0 mode managed essid MYESSID key XXXXXXXXXX"
WLAN_INTERFACES=(rausb0)

Then I get an error on boot saying that the network is not up, so the settings cannot be applied to rausb0.

Last edited by superdood (2007-05-14 20:39:22)

#6 2007-05-14 20:48:07

rayjgu3

on my card aironet350 i had some issues with it so i put the modules in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf so its built into
/boot/kernel26.img   that resolved my issue  it may help with yours
also im not at my laptop now but i believe in my /etc/rc.conf i have

wlan_eth1="eth1  essid MYESSID key XXXXXXXXXX"

& it connects at boot up
nothing in there bout dhcp

#7 2007-05-17 05:14:33

superdood

rayjgu3 wrote:

on my card aironet350 i had some issues with it so i put the modules in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf so its built into
/boot/kernel26.img   that resolved my issue  it may help with yours
also im not at my laptop now but i believe in my /etc/rc.conf i have

wlan_eth1="eth1  essid MYESSID key XXXXXXXXXX"

& it connects at boot up
nothing in there bout dhcp

I tried that, it didn't work. I'm just going to continue to do it the way I have been doing (commands in rc.local) unless someone knows of a problem with that method, or knows a better way.  As far as I can tell, using rc.local works fine for me, and I haven't encountered any problems yet.

Board footer