You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-22 04:39:06

Shirakawasuna

NetworkManager dbus + wireless issue

I still seem to intermittently get this issue with networkmanager and it seems to be related to dbus.  I have no idea why it began working for a couple of days and then stopped working after a restart, but if I edit /etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManager I can get it mostly-working (with knetworkmanager-svn).

I am using: networkmanager-0.6.5-1, dbus 1.0.2-4, wireless_tools-29pre21-1, knetworkmanager-svn-632905-1, and a broadcom BCM4318 wireless card + ndiswrapper.  This issue seems to occur with the gnome applet as well, but it is less verbose.

Here is the section of NetworkManager we're interested in (I think):

<policy group="network">
                <allow own="org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo"/>

<allow send_destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>
                <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"/>

Notice how I've added the <allow own=""/> line.  If I do not add this, it gives me an error similar to this: 'Connection ":1.19" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies in the configuration file'.  If I restart the important services (dbus, dhcdbd, networkmanager) after changing the file, I no longer get this message, although I do get some possibly disconcerting others like:

knetworkmanager: Encryption::isValid failed, bad inputs
knetworkmanager: Error: Could not serialize security information.

That security information error above occurs on the first attempt to connect (which fails).  If I wait about ten seconds more and try again, the error disappears and I can connect just fine.

It also seems that others have this problem:

I am primarily annoyed by this issue because 1) my fix doesn't work and I don't know enough about it or its prevalence to warrant filling out a bug report yet and 2) it seems to come and go and I can't for the life of me tell what's making it act like that.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Nick B

#2 2007-06-20 01:08:31

Shirakawasuna

Re: NetworkManager dbus + wireless issue

*bump*.   For  a little while it would have this strange behavior wherein I couldn't connect the first time (it'd flash the 'working' screen), the second time it would connect and then disconnect in a couple of seconds, and the third time stuck.  After uninstalling and reinstalling, the earlier issue is back - possibly a restart would return me to the earlier behavior, but it is still non-ideal.  I'm hoping someone has a fix or can corroborate by voting for/commenting on this bug: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7266.  Thanks!

Board footer