You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-29 12:37:29

linderox

Samba - on one server, [Home Directories] on another

I want to setup samba on one sever, but i want to make [home directories] on another

1)what i have to write to my samba config?
2)What the best rules for users i should use?
3)Do i have to have the same group (user1:user user2:user) for all samba users or i can have (user1:user1 user2:user2) /etc/passwd?
4) What about LDAP? can it situated on the different servers with Samba?
5) i cant create smb user if there is no in the /etc/passwd? is it ok?can i create smb user without adding it to /etc/passwd?

#2 2007-05-29 13:37:32

ralvez
Website

Re: Samba - on one server, [Home Directories] on another

1. That is hard to say and depends on what you want to do. This link file:///home/ralvez/USB-HD/dev/python.code/packup should be of help.
2. Again depends on what your intended use is as well as your security restrictions.
3. Not sure what you mean but samba requires that you create users and it is recommended that they be the same as in Windows.
4. You can integrate LDAP. There are a number of tutorials on the web and you should work to some of them since it may be too extensive to explain here.
5. Yes, you can but it is recommended that you use the same users because it simplifies log ins.

Hope this helps.

R

#3 2007-05-29 14:10:06

Ruckus

I have always found samba to be about 2x slower than NFS for file sharing for some reason, if the client computers are Linux boxes, I'd use NFS instead of samba.

#4 2007-05-29 15:24:28

ralvez
Website

Ruckus wrote:

I have always found samba to be about 2x slower than NFS for file sharing for some reason, if the client computers are Linux boxes, I'd use NFS instead of samba.

But the "point" of using Samba is to be able to build hybrid networks. ;-)
I have not used, personally, NFS and cannot give an opinion on it but I find Samba reasonably responsive, even in large networks.

R

#5 2007-06-07 12:23:41

linderox

i have several problems with NFS
some directories mounts on the client machine,but some new added didn't for example /mnt/sdb3

Ruckus wrote:

#6 2007-06-07 13:00:03

Ruckus

linderox wrote:

i have several problems with NFS
some directories mounts on the client machine,but some new added didn't for example /mnt/sdb3

Ruckus wrote:

exportfs -a (as root)
Updates whats being shared from /etc/exports

Board footer