You are not logged in.

#1 2007-06-14 23:04:20

synthead

Printing to a label printer on a Linksys print server

So as of now, I'm the only guy in the office that runs Arch!  So far so awesome, I'm doing everything I need to do here except for one thing - printing labels.  We have this central label printer that we use for just about everything here and I gotta get it to work.  I found glabels in the repositories and I am very impressed with it, as well as CUPS! 

I'm not saying that I never knew about the most common printing system in the world, but man, has it ever progressed!  I am iffy about the web interface, but it sure makes for a nice and easy setup.  I had samba going before I installed cups, and the cups interface found and installed the network printers almost automatically!  That's what I'm talking about.

Back on topic ... the Linksys print server has an IP address and we are able to print to it after installing a driver in Windows.  It goes through a print server port supposedly.  I don't know how to do this kind of thing in CUPS though.  What can I do to get it to work?

#2 2007-06-15 01:32:06

arew264
Website

Re: Printing to a label printer on a Linksys print server

It depends on what sort of print server you're talking about.
A model number would be nice.

I have a linksys printserver that is basically just a 4 port hub with a USB port. It uses LPR/LPD to print, and you have to create a port when you set it up in windows. It was a snap to get working, but you have to know how you're getting it to work on windows first.

We just need to know how you connect to the printer. Is it IP, LPR/LPD, SMB....

#3 2007-06-15 17:28:32

synthead

You know, Windows beats around the bush so much that I have no idea what it is using.  Here's what the config screens look like though.

cp1pb3.th.png

cp2jz6.th.png

cp3oz2.th.png

It's a Linksys PPSX1

#4 2007-06-16 00:39:07

synthead

Okay, I figured out that lpd://192.168.1.51/L1 does the trick as far as the path goes ... now I need to find a driver to print to a Meto mn-4 label printer tongue

#5 2007-06-16 04:03:46

arew264
Website

Okay, guess it's a good thing you found that out yourself, because I looked at that and said HUH?
That would be because I only set up my LPD print server under WIndows XP, where the capability is built in, and you need no linksys driver.

Board footer