You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-27 20:17:36

colnago

Cannot open Display

Hi, I have three arch 0.6 installs.  2 at home and one at work.  My problem is that I cannot open a display on my work machine from home.  The installs are identical, all done in the last 3 days.  On all 3 machines I have changed /etc/sshd_config 'X11Forwarding yes' and in the ~/.ssh/config set ForwardX11 yes' and 'ForwardX11Trusted yes'.  The home machines are behind a hardware NAT router attached to a cable modem.  No software firewall options.  I can launch windows between the home machines and also at other computers at work from the home machines, but when i try to launch something using an ssh terminal to the work arch install from home, i get 'Can't open display'.  The display variable is set, but it just does not work.  I have tried things like 'xhost +' on the home machine prior to ssh ing to work, also playing around with /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config settings at home.  I don't think that this could be it, as there is no problem between home computers.  Any ideas?

One think I found while searching is a possible problem with the available fonts, but this does not seem possible as the installs are identical.  I have used 'pacman -S kde' to install the desktops.  I did not do anything specific with fonts.

Previous linux installs at home have worked, except for a xandros 2.0 install that I had problems (can't open display) also.

#2 2004-03-29 18:39:28

colnago

Re: Cannot open Display

I had made a typo in my hosts file.  I had this (my hostname is very original):

27.0.0.1     arch

rather than the loopback:

127.0.0.1   arch

Now things are fine.  I am surprised that not being able to tunnel remote windows was the only symptom.

Board footer