You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-08 17:29:19

Gullible Jones

More questions on wireless profiles and wifi-radar

I'm trying to set up wireless without using networkmanager, since networkmanager integration with anything other than Gnome or KDE is... less than ideal. I've run into a few problems...

1. When using wireless profiles, the network script hangs for a long time on boot waiting for the wireless to time out if there isn't any WLAN I can connect to. How do I get it not to do this? I tried having ifplugd to manage wlan0 but that doesn't seem to work...

2. When I tried using wifi-radar, I discovered that...

a) It's quite poorly documented. Do I have to use it with Arch roaming profiles? Does it conflict with the use of said profiles? Does the daemon manage my wireless or do I have to leave that to the network script?

b) The GUI is extremely slow and unresponsive, to the point of being unusable, though it doesn't seem to use any more CPU power than it should. Running it from a terminal (sudo'd, of course) doesn't show any console messages at all.

#2 2007-07-08 18:35:18

Exclamation

Re: More questions on wireless profiles and wifi-radar

Im using brain0's autowifi. Its pretty easy to setup, just add your networks to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf smile

#3 2007-07-08 19:05:12

oliwer
Website

Re: More questions on wireless profiles and wifi-radar

Gullible Jones wrote:

2. When I tried using wifi-radar, I discovered that...

a) It's quite poorly documented. Do I have to use it with Arch roaming profiles? Does it conflict with the use of said profiles? Does the daemon manage my wireless or do I have to leave that to the network script?

wifi-radar is totally independent. You don't have to care about any config file. It doesn't conflict, it just overrides. By default, I think the daemon choose the best available wifi network.

b) The GUI is extremely slow and unresponsive, to the point of being unusable, though it doesn't seem to use any more CPU power than it should. Running it from a terminal (sudo'd, of course) doesn't show any console messages at all.

Works good for me. The only problem occurs when wifi-radar waits for a dhcp server that doesn't exists. You have to wait about 1 minute before using wifi-radar again. But I guess this waiting time can easily be changed by modifying the python source.

Board footer