You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-29 10:39:56

Malaclypse

creating a print server with cups

ok, i have this arch box which is going to be my server for all sorts of things on my local net. i plugged a printer (samsung ml 1210 if it does matter) into lpt1 and wanted to install cups, which went quite smoothly. i also got the appropriate ppd file and configured the printer via the cups webinterface. everything fine so far, just that trying to print a test page does not yield any results.
i might even know the solution: i didn't install ghostscript. i figure that's just what is missing, but sadly if i want to install it with pacman it depends on the whole bloody xfree86 package that i surely don't want to have on my server. i could maybe install ghostscript without the dependency check, but that seems a little too "quick-n-dirty" for me. are there any other solutions/alternate routes?

thanks in advance,

m

#2 2004-03-29 19:52:49

morphus

Re: creating a print server with cups

I came into the same problems when I wanted to install a printer-server, but since I have only three clients to connect to the server, I created a raw-printer-server.

This means that the clients need to provide the driver for the printer. that's it

#3 2004-03-30 16:12:21

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

No official solution here, but you could maybe recompile the package without the X dependency, using the PKGBUILD in abs.  You'd probably have to recompile it every time it was upgraded though.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2004-03-30 18:18:50

Malaclypse

hm, the manual update every time intimidates me a bit, i think i'll set up a raw printer as well since there aren't many machines on the network.

danke and thanks for the suggestions.

m

Board footer