You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-18 23:19:43

gwydir8

NFS and Hfs+

Hello,

I'm having a problem serving up my external hardrive (formatted HFS+) over NFS. Whenever I exportfs -arv i get:

exportfs: Warning: /mnt/External does not support NFS export.

But I do know that my exports are set up correctly becuase if i replace /mnt/External with anything else, like my home folder, it serves it up perfectly to my mac.

At the moment I'm using samba to serve it up to my mac, but, I'm leaving to travel to the east coast next week, and I do not know a way to connect to a Samba server while not on the same network. If you could tell me a way to connect to a remote samba server, I wont need NFS. But I would rather NFS over Samba, Iv'e had less problems with it till now. I left my Exports and Fstab just incase you will need them:

Here is my /etc/exports

# /etc/exports
#
# See exports(5) for a description.

# use exportfs -arv to reread
#/export    192.168.1.10(rw,no_root_squash)
/mnt/External 192.168.0.194(rw,no_root_squash,subtree_check,insecure)

/etc/fstab

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
none                   /dev/shm      tmpfs     defaults            0      0

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom   iso9660   ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/dvd /mnt/dvd   udf   ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/sda1 /boot ext2 defaults 0 1
/dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sda3 / reiserfs notail,noatime 0 0
/dev/sda4 /home reiserfs notail,noatime 0 0
/dev/sdb3 /mnt/External hfsplus rw,exec,auto,users 0 0

#2 2007-07-19 17:44:11

Kopsis

Re: NFS and Hfs+

I can't actually answer your question, but I can suggest yet another alternative. I've been having pretty good luck lately using MacFusion on my Mac for mounting remote filesystems on Linux boxes. MacFusion uses the Mac port of FUSE (File System in User Space) to mount ftp and ssh (sftp) servers as though they were network drives.

You don't need anything special on the server other than OpenSSH. The server (sshd) is all in user-space so it won't care that the directory you're trying to serve is on an HFS+ filesystem. And since it's ssh, it's pretty easy to forward it through your firewall (and you get the benefit of end-to-end strong encryption which is nice when you're going over the internet). Performance is a little slower than Samba or NFS and sftp is definitely not a good substitute for a real multi-user network file system. But for single user remote access it works quite well.

#3 2007-07-20 20:55:16

gwydir8

Re: NFS and Hfs+

thanks i determined that 60 KBs upload was just not enough to smoothly stream video. If there is a better way to do it, please tell!

Board footer