You are not logged in.

#1 2007-07-30 05:38:44

starseed

Network is incredibly slow after removing linksys router

I've been using a linksys router for quite a while. Today I removed it from my set up and simply plugged the cable modem directly to my nic. Restarted the network, everything works fine .. except one thing , my downloads are now capped at 100 k/s max .. I'm usually upwards of 900 k/s on a good server .. things just start to crawl when I dl / ul  several things at a time . speedtests report very low .. I'm a little confused as to what could be causing this ..

I had an extra partition open, so I decided to try a fresh install .. I booted into the install cd and started the process, everything was going fine  .. I did an FTP install and was dl'ing the base system at full speed .. When I was finished installing I booted into my new fresh install thinking all was good .. did a pacman -Syu , started installing packages .. Same issue!

So I'm back in my original install, trying to figure out what could possibly be causing this ? what is different in the install cd enviorment that fixes the issue ? Has anyone experienced anything like this ? Any help would be appreciated

#2 2007-07-30 06:11:10

_nalle
Website

Re: Network is incredibly slow after removing linksys router

Have you tried plugging that linksys router back in and does the problem persist if you do? Good place to start at if nothing else.

Swedish Archlinux Mirror Administrator - ftp.gigabit.nu

#3 2007-07-30 08:18:05

Lone_Wolf

starseed wrote:

things just start to crawl when I dl / ul  several things at a time

Your cablemodem is probably bad at dealing with multiple connections simultaneously.
As _nalle suggest, plug the linksys router back in and check again.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2007-07-30 13:44:30

starseed

Yes, replugging in the linksys does fix the problem .. now I should mention that this does not happen in other distros, in windows, or like I said in the install cd enviroment . I'm not running anything that requires lots of connections while this happens like bittorrent . It is not the modem .. The router is going away, I don't need it anymore and I'm giving it to someone who does ..

#5 2007-07-30 20:06:46

Lone_Wolf

Ok, so we have to try and figure out what's wrong with your arch install.

What mirror are you using for pacman ?
Which protocols are used when you get this problem :
http-download , ftp-download , streaming audio /video etc ?
Do you have a firewall installed ?
Is the problem occuring in console apps as well as X apps ?

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2007-07-30 20:07:20)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#6 2007-07-31 01:21:56

starseed

I'm using ftp.arhlinux.org for my pacmna repo, I'm getting this problem while connecting through several different protocols , including http, ftp , and bittorent, streaming from stage6 / youtube. .  while downloading through firefox for example I'll get the same speed as if I were to open up a console and wget the url .  I do not have a firewalled install , at least i never requested this during the install .. I'm not running iptables service or anything like that .  Thanks for your help trying to figure this out .. It's downright baffling on this end .. I've been using linux for about 5 years and never run into an issue like this ..

#7 2007-07-31 08:29:15

Lone_Wolf

Well, the problem with pacman speed is clear now : ftp.archlinux.org was used by so many that the official arch mirrors had trouble syncing with it, so it was decided to throttle it for users.

You'll have to choose another mirror.
Look at the files current,extra and community in /etc/pacman.d/ and copy the entry for a mirror close to your geopgraphic location manually to the top of the file.
You can also use the rankmirrors script (needs python) to find a good mirror.

Note : make sure you use the same mirror for all 3 files.

#8 2007-07-31 09:39:35

vacant

ifconfig with just modem and with router: any MTU difference?

#9 2007-08-02 04:05:18

starseed

Okay, an update on this issue ... Thanks for the tip vacant, even though I did not have the router to check what the difference in MTU was between the two , I searched for what the typical MTU for ethernet was and found it to be 1500, I then did an ifconfig and had this

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:576  Metric:1

so I ifconfig eth0 mtu 1500

Now everything is back up to speed .. this is a huge sigh of relief .. I wonder why it sets it so low by default ? I'm assuming it's dhcpcd that is doing this ? Any idea how I can have it default so I don't have to set it everytime I reboot ? thanks again

-----------

I'm not sure how to set a topic to solved, anyone know ?

Last edited by starseed (2007-08-02 04:13:15)

Board footer