You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-02 15:57:23

PsD

GPRS/Edge/3G connection speed?

Hi,

i was using my "vodafone mobile" internet for few weeks now and all that time i was thinking: why it's so slow? Ok, I realize that speed depends on signal strength and things, but signal quality is 110% here and I get only 4.4kBps (only GPRS available). I know that GPRS should give me something around 10kBps. I've found some information on google about this, people use setserial to set port speed, but then i try it i get an error:

# setserial /dev/ttyUSB0 spd_warp
Cannot get serial info: Invalid argument

Why is this happening?
I'm running a custom kernel (2.6.21.1)

Thanks for your answers.

Cheers,
PsD

#2 2007-08-03 18:58:51

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: GPRS/Edge/3G connection speed?

The speeds gotten from mobile connections can very a lot over time.
One of the factors you have no influence on is the amount of users that are trying to use the same connection.

I've seen download speeds ranging from .5 kbytes to 7 kbytes on gprs, while connection speed was 57600 baud.

What is the output of setserial -a /dev/tyyUSB0  ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2007-08-04 06:13:47

PsD

Re: GPRS/Edge/3G connection speed?

Lone_Wolf wrote:

The speeds gotten from mobile connections can very a lot over time.
One of the factors you have no influence on is the amount of users that are trying to use the same connection.

I've seen download speeds ranging from .5 kbytes to 7 kbytes on gprs, while connection speed was 57600 baud.

Yes, I know these and understand that speed vary a lot. But I'm worried about maximum speed that I get - 4.2-4.4kBps.

Lone_Wolf wrote:

What is the output of setserial -a /dev/tyyUSB0  ?

# setserial -a /dev/ttyUSB0
Cannot get serial info: Invalid argumen

Board footer