You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-02 17:23:30

thayer
Fellow
Website

I'd like to write a wiki for the WICD wifi tool, but...

I'd like to write an Arch wiki for the new python-based wicd utility in AUR, but I can't get some of the basic features working.  If someone can provide some Arch-specific info, we can get a detailed HOW-TO going for others...

So far, I've installed it, have it running as a daemon and in the tray.  It only connects to a wired network if I provide it with a static IP.  Without the static info, it tries to connect and then after a few seconds says, "Not connected".

Wireless on the other hand, doesn't work at all.  I use a WPA-TKIP connection to a hidden SSID.  My wpa_supplicant.conf is already configured (I was using wifi-radar previously).  If I try connecting without specifying a static IP, I get the same results as with the wired connection (after a few seconds it says, "not connected").  If I provide a static IP, it says "Connected to Hidden at 0%", but I can't ping anything or resolve hosts.

I've completely uninstalled networkmanager and wifi-radar and currently my rc.conf settings look like this (based on a post from an admin at the wicd forums):

HOSTNAME="hostname"
lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
ROUTES=(!gateway)
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng powersaved ipw3945d network fam wicd @alsa @crond @cups !@netfs @ntpd @sshd)

I've tried removing the eth0 entry as well, to see if it was conflicting with wicd, but had the same results.  I've also tried removing network altogether, but then lo isn't brought up and it causes lag issues with desktop apps.

My wpa_supplicant.conf looks like this:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
network={
    ssid="network-name"
    scan_ssid=1     # only needed if your access point uses a hidden ssid
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    proto=WPA
    psk=ff1ed150011740fc30b06c95876b82bf8b99e3459b9740d62a8ab68d05639b1b
}

Any suggestions?

Last edited by thayer.w (2007-08-02 17:26:10)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#2 2007-08-04 07:22:04

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Re: I'd like to write a wiki for the WICD wifi tool, but...

Hmm that's odd, have you asked this on their forum? The admin adam uses WICD in Arch too iirc. It is simple to install since it's just a few files and scripts, but the problem comes when it needs to cater to each one of our connection types.

So far I have tried both and they work, but that's only with ethernet cable (dynamic IP, dhcp, direct, no router), open wifi.

Your wireless issue may be due to the type of connection and encryption, or how wpa_supplicant relates to network managers in this case wicd (like when it calls up the former). Because as far as i know, wpa_supplicant by itself is only a secure wlan utility and there shouldn't be a problem, but I don't understand why you're not able to get wired up. What kinda wired is it?

edit:  found an older thread in Ubuntu regarding wpa_supplicant http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=299462

Most WPA networks will work easily with Connection Manager, but some may require additional work. If you WPA network does not work with the default Connection Manager settings, edit /opt/connection-manager/data/wpa_supplicant.conf using normal wpa_supplicant syntax (see man wpa_supplicant.conf for more info). This is the configuration file Connection Manager will use to launch wpa_supplicant.

Which means it's supposed to be pretty straight forward and you shouldn't be facing this situation. The only things I can think of are the configuration of the supplicant or the driver.

Last edited by schivmeister (2007-08-04 15:27:54)

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#3 2007-08-12 08:38:14

thayer
Fellow
Website

Thanks for the info schivmeister, I would've responded sooner, but I have been on vacation.  The wpa_supplicant doesn't seem to be the problem, as it works 100% of the time with wifi-radar.  The ethernet connection is pretty standard as well, a direct cat-5 connection to a D-Link DI-524 Wifi router. 

I haven't contacted anyone at the wicd forums yet though, so that may be my next step, but really the wifi options are getting more and more convoluted every day, and we don't appear to be getting any closer to a fully-featured network management tool. Networkmanager has HUGE dependencies (I don't use GNOME or KDE) and it stopped working with the ipw3945 driver about 2 versions ago. Wifi-Radar and WICD appear to be nice frontends, but for any serious wireless configurations (non-open) they both require esoteric wpa_supplicant configurations that aren't easily modified on-the-fly.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#4 2007-08-13 04:40:57

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Ok, I've noticed a pattern here. Users trying to use Wicd behind a router are more likely to face issues with wired on the DNS settings or conflict with another service running. I've come across 2 threads that may relate to your problems:

Wicd Forum Thread 1 - Relationship between wicd and dhcdbd

Wicd Forum Thread 2 - OpenDNS (look at the bottom of page)

After this, solved or not, go on to wireless. Either of the threads may be of help for wifi also, especially if there is a chance that DNS is not being resolved properly or getting replaced somehow in resolv.conf. IMO wireless should be a better experience (especially secured wireless) since that was the main reason wicd came into existence smile

Last edited by schivmeister (2007-08-13 04:43:42)

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

Board footer