You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-13 04:01:28

dtjohnst

Slow network

I'm not sure if this is something that anyone here can answer or not since I'm not sure where the problem lies, but I figured this was a good starting point.

I have a Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller with Active Directory running DHCP and DNS. I have 2 other windows boxes and 2 other linux boxes in my network. 1 Windows box is XP the other is Vista. 1 Linux box is Gentoo the other is Archlinux.

My LAN gateway IP is 10.0.0.1, my DC is 10.0.0.2, and one of my linux boxes (the Gentoo) uses a static 10.0.0.3. The DHCP server dishes out 10.0.0.2 as my DNS server, and my static configuration points there as well with no backup. My DNS server is configured to forward all requests not in my local domain to my gateway (10.0.0.1) which receives external DNS through it's WAN DHCP connection (it's a4port Linksys bluebox router/firewall).

Here's where it gets weird. If I hop on any of my 3 windows machines and ping something, anything, whether it be on my internal domain or on the internet, I get immediate replies in reasonable time. If I go to either my Archlinux or Gentoo boxes and run the ping it works flawlessly for machines on my internal domain whether they are listed in my hosts file or not. However, if I ping something on the internet, I get instant name resolution, then a 4 or 5 second delay, and then I receive replied to my pings, with 0% packet loss reported.

For example, if I type

# ping google.ca

I am greeted with

PING google.ca (64.233.187.104) 56(84) bytes of data.

Then I get to stare at that for a solid 4 or 5 seconds before I receive replies. So I know my DNS is doing name resolution properly and in a timely fashion to some degree since my ping command spits out an IP address instantly. But if I change my resolv.conf to my bluebox (10.0.0.1) or to an external DNS server (4.2.2.1 as an example), it works flawlessly with no hiccups at all, just like how my Windows boxes work. So it seems like the problem is with my DNS server, but then why can I get IP addresses right away?

It's REALLY annoying having to wait 4 or 5 seconds anytime I need to resolve a name. Most websites now will have 4 or 5 different names referenced in their adds, images, whatever, which results in pages that take forever to load. Even something simple like google appears instantly...once that 4 or 5 second delay is gone.

Someone please tell me they know how to fix this, 'cause it's driving me nuts.

#2 2007-08-14 14:18:37

dwbell

Re: Slow network

Try this, http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/My_ … _crawls%21 I was having problems with very slow internet speeds since installing Arch last week, applying this fix tripled my internet speed.

#3 2007-08-15 03:34:59

dwbell

Aargh! I rebooted today and the problem reappeared. I guess there was something else I did that I've forgotten. It was good while it lasted but back to square one for me.

#4 2007-08-15 12:26:42

jskier
Website

dwbell wrote:

Aargh! I rebooted today and the problem reappeared. I guess there was something else I did that I've forgotten. It was good while it lasted but back to square one for me.

Did you add the reference in the /etc/rc.local file so the commands are run each boot up?

--
JSkier

#5 2007-08-15 14:21:57

dwbell

Did you add the reference in the /etc/rc.local file so the commands are run each boot up?

I did. I've since done some more extensive testing plugging directly into to cable modem and digging out a windows machine to test speed and I've come to the conclusion my ISP is screwing me over. My ISP (shaw in Canada) openly admits to throttling bandwith, I think I've raised their ire downloading everything to get Arch setup this week. Hopefully it won't last too long.

Edit: Hmm, I seem to have my speed back, at least temporarily. I did a time wget on a 17MB file late last night and again this morning same file no changes on my end at all.
result: 
Last night "real    3m45.675s"
This morning "real    0m40.261s"

At least I know it wasn't my imagination.... hope my ISP has forgiven me...

Last edited by dwbell (2007-08-15 15:11:27)

Board footer