You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-15 23:31:55

Valavien

[Solved] Got card working but cant access the net (SMC)

Hi all, have been working on this for a few days and searching until my eyes bleed so I am either rubbish or it doesn't exist. 

I have a Dell c600 laptop with an SMC wireless card in the PCMCIA slot.  It uses the prism54 drivers.  I also use a Linksys wrt54g.  I have it all setup to run DHCP with Telstra cable. 

The connection works on the pc I type this from and I know it will work on the laptop as I loaded the ubuntu live cd to try it out and it worked.

I eventually managed to get the card recognised by using the ls3890 and I folled the wiki and guides for everything for that. 

The problem is that i just cant seem to ping anything.  What's also weird is that it appears in the linksys page to say what ip it has been assiged!

Anyone have any ideas.  I haven't posted any of my config files yet as someone may know already and I have to type them out manually - which I will if I need to big_smile

But some basic info:
I have it setup to eth1 and dmesg says it's there.  I also have included the gateway and ROUTE lines to my routers gateway id of 192.168.1.1 (what I used to access the settings also).  Should this line be included or commented out?

I want to start fiddling with packages but I can't with no net.  Maybe I should try and get the ethernet working and install some gui wireless apps now that I have the card running?

Last edited by Valavien (2007-08-17 17:40:37)

#2 2007-08-16 10:52:18

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: [Solved] Got card working but cant access the net (SMC)

Can you ping the router ?
If that works, try pinging a site on ip-adress : 66.211.213.17 is the address for archlinux.org .
In case those work, you have a dns-problem.

Also recently there were problems with dhcpcd that were solved after several updates, maybe you can update through a temporary wired connection for now ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2007-08-16 14:33:58

Valavien

Can't ping at all becaues the network is down.  I am going to update dhcpcd but I have to do that by copying a file onto cd and then to the laptop.  The wired network won't work either.

#4 2007-08-17 17:41:39

Valavien

Looks like settting it up with static ip worked.  I also had to put in DNS entries into /etc/resolv.conf
Thanks for the help and I hope my solution helps people

Last edited by Valavien (2007-08-17 17:42:06)

Board footer