You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-24 06:48:10

big_newbie

iwlwifi, ipw3945 not working???

Hi,

i have recently start to use archlinux and a big noob with running linux on laptops, i have no problem i almost do everything the Wiki says (such a great place to stay couple of hours smile ) and i get a no problem with all thing except today...

Some days ago in the wiki suggest that we change from ipw3945 (which work really fine: 0 problems) to the iwlwifi (iwl3945) so i did all that the wiki says and wlan0 was up instead of eth1 (like ipw) so again all back working great but when i recently make a full system update with pacman (-Suy) pacman updated the iwlwifi and since that dont even exists wlan0, so i think the driver doesnt get up my card, i obviously change and get up to wired eth0 connection, i follow some psot on the forum i make a "ls /sys/class/net" and only exists lo and eth0, not wlan0 or even wmaster0...
So i say well since this driver is experimental i better get downgrade, so i remove iwlwifi and iwlwifi-ucode-3945, delete his entries in rc.conf and add agian the ipw3945 entries, but guess what.... now even with the ipw drivers the card doesnt get up sad

So i came here to ask, what should i do??
I think this has to be related with udev or something like that because i follow the wiki but nothing good happen sad

Thanks in advice
PS: Sorry for the bad writing, my fist language its not english

#2 2007-09-24 07:21:15

klixon

Re: iwlwifi, ipw3945 not working???

Does you card show up in

# lspci

Could be the card just died hmm

Stand back, intruder, or i'll blast you out of space! I am Klixon and I don't want any dealings with you human lifeforms. I'm a cyborg!

#3 2007-09-24 07:45:46

jinn

you probably have a external switch to turn off the wireless card completely. see if you have it off..

The ultimate Archlinux release name: "I am your father"

#4 2007-09-25 00:00:06

big_newbie

@jinn: Thats the first i double check but unfortunately its not.

@klixon: it reported to be present on every hardware detecte command, like lshwd or just hwd, even the device is presente in /sys/device/pciXXXXXXXX/.............., also i have a windows partition (which m currently on) where obviously the card works fine.

As an a update, today i force to reinstall udev and kernel26 and seems to be ipw3945 to partially work again, now i have again eth1 but i cannot establish any type of connection, i went to see if i can load iwlwifi but no, again m stuck...

BTW, is there a easy way to cahnge the module driver or reload the drivers without getting linux to full restart???

Thanks in adive
PS: I have put temporarly in pacman ignore list ipw3945 and iwlwifi just in case there is another update that mess completly on

Last edited by big_newbie (2007-09-25 00:02:09)

#5 2007-09-25 01:42:58

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

You can have both installed but not both running. Use rmmod -v $module to unload it.

I have a laptop with an IPW3945 card, I am using the latest iwlwifi driver (1.1.0 at the time of writing). No problems - a lot better than the 1.0.0 driver and other snapshots.

The driver may occasionally disable your radio - at least it did so for the 1.0.0 release, the snapshots aren't affected as much by this problem it seems, I am not running 1.1.0 long enough to tell how it is with that one.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#6 2007-09-25 01:43:10

bangkok_manouel

did you start ipw3945d ?

#7 2007-09-25 03:45:23

big_newbie

@B: Well i have been installing and removing the ipw3945 and iwlwifi (iwlwifi-3945-ucode) and making a lot of things and during that process i discover that i can have both installed but not obviously loaded at the same time, thanks for the advice about unloading modules, but sorry the big noob question, how can i load modules?, i have try modprobe modulename but doesnt seems to load (doesnt appear in lsmod as loaded or reference to any hardware) so i get a lot of confuse.

@bangkok_manouel: yeap, i have follow the wiki as exact says about adding modules and daemons but doesnt get to work, since i reinstall the kernel with ipw3945 i now have the "eth1" in /sys/class/net but when i try to get up with iwconfig or with rc.conf (or any network profile) the system says sometimes that i cant set ESSID or a KEY or a Channel etc... or the most frequent, time out...

I think i maybe need to compile my self iwlwifi maybe a previous snapshot and not 1.1.0 for testing if a code change make my card dont supported for the driver.

Board footer