You are not logged in.

#1 2007-09-24 10:43:44

floke

Gnome 2.20 + xorg 7.3 = Big trouble!!

Dear all,

I've been using Arch for a couple of weeks or so and it's definitely the best distro around. After upgrading to testing packages though, I have a real problem.

First, I upgraded all the gnome packages to 2.20 - avoiding the xorg updates - but then found I had no window borders with compiz-fusion - no matter what I tried. Then, hoping it was perhaps an xorg issue I ran a 'pacman -Syu' and grabbed the lot from testing. And now? Well I still have no borders - and now also have no synaptics touchpad! The /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows no errors of note and the touchpad seems to be loading up fine. I do notice an error on boot up ('I don't understand...' something) - but it flies by too fast to read it all.

Any ideas how I can go about rescuing things?

#2 2007-09-24 11:26:19

mucknert

Re: Gnome 2.20 + xorg 7.3 = Big trouble!!

Argh! Another user that enabled testing and now wants support. No offense but did you actually know what you were doing when you enabled that repository? smile I don't want to flame, but I can't stress that point enough: testing is for TESTING packages before they go live. It is NOT intended for regular users to have the newest zomgbleedingedge packages. It's for people that want to work on Arch and make it better by helping to iron out bugs in the system. That being said: your request should go to the bugtracker instead of the BBS. Never-ever use testing if you are not able to handle the echo! And you clearly weren't ready to. I've already ranted about that in http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=37379 tongue

But enough of this. If you happened to have old config files of Gnome and compiz in your ~, try to remove them first. Maybe that will fix your problem. smile

Last edited by mucknert (2007-09-24 11:27:40)

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#3 2007-09-24 12:02:04

floke

Do you feel better now?

(1) I'm not using testing by default - I used it to get a specific package, and went out of my way to avoid any xorg stuff (at first roll)
(2) What's 'not ready for the echo'? I'm happy to test and break if it helps improve things. I'm not exactly sitting here crying about it.
(3) People using testing are permitted to make help inquiries you know. Or do you think it should be banned? It took me several days to figure out how to install Arch properly, and did I make any help posts in that time? No.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

#4 2007-09-24 12:12:54

Mefju

floke wrote:

First, I upgraded all the gnome packages to 2.20 - avoiding the xorg updates - but then found I had no window borders with compiz-fusion - no matter what I tried.

Hint: try to rebuild emerald.

#5 2007-09-24 12:15:30

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

For synaptics, you could always have checked the thread on Xorg 7.3 before posting.  Have you tried the advice in that thread?

Here's the link. http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 31#p283531

I also remember people talking about window borders with compiz before, although I didn't pay much attention at the time because I couldn't help.  Try searching the forums.

#6 2007-09-24 12:24:31

dolby

disable testing. pacman -Syu . downgrade packages.

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#7 2007-09-24 12:46:07

floke

Yep that's what I thought.
Have downgraded xstuff and will try to sort emerald out.
I should have read the xorg thread but was clearly in too much of a hurry (lesson learned #739857) - I actually thought that I should really check for such a thread at the time - which makes me doubly stupid!

Thanx for the tips (again).

EDIT: All fixed and back to 'as-was' - using the last working emerald conflicted with parts of G2.20, with knock-on effects throughout - so back to G2.18 after a downgrade.

Last edited by floke (2007-09-24 13:36:54)

#8 2007-09-24 13:56:21

tomk
Forum Fellow

floke wrote:

(1) I'm not using testing by default - I used it to get a specific package

FYI - the only correct way to use the testing repo is to enable it at the top of the repo list in /etc/pacman.conf, and run pacman -Syu. Cherrypicking from the testing repo works in some cases, but it is not supported.

#9 2007-09-24 14:04:58

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

tomk wrote:
floke wrote:

(1) I'm not using testing by default - I used it to get a specific package

FYI - the only correct way to use the testing repo is to enable it at the top of the repo list in /etc/pacman.conf, and run pacman -Syu. Cherrypicking from the testing repo works in some cases, but it is not supported.

Just a point of note - Tomk's right here, but the testing repo is currently also being used for testing the new fglrx version - if you're using fglrx 8.40.4 and don't want 8.41.7, which may not work with older cards, be sure to add fglrx, fglrx-utils, fglrx-ck, and fglrx-suspend2 to your IgnorePkg settings in /etc/pacman.conf.

#10 2007-09-24 14:51:07

floke

Cheers Tomk

Disabled testing now - since I only wanted it for G2.20 and atm it doesn't work with my compiz-fusion setup - but I'll bear that in mind if I ever use it in the future cool

#11 2007-09-24 15:07:02

mucknert

floke wrote:

Do you feel better now?

(1) I'm not using testing by default - I used it to get a specific package, and went out of my way to avoid any xorg stuff (at first roll)
(2) What's 'not ready for the echo'? I'm happy to test and break if it helps improve things. I'm not exactly sitting here crying about it.
(3) People using testing are permitted to make help inquiries you know. Or do you think it should be banned? It took me several days to figure out how to install Arch properly, and did I make any help posts in that time? No.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

*shrugs* I just wanted to make clear what the problems of testing are. It seemed to me that you wanted to try testing for kicks and were kinda taken by surprise by the outcome. If that's not the case: my apologies.
Of course people that use testing are and *need* to be allowed to ask for help. I am not arguing that. I understand that you had a real problem but it mainly resulted from misunderstanding the concepts behind testing. That is, however, just my impression. If you feel that this is not the case: again my apologies.

Actually, all what I was trying to achieve with that post was to make clear to you when to use testing and when not, just to make sure that you wont be taken by surprise again. It wasn't about me "feeling better" because I am not affected by that in any way. I could also say "I don't give a rats arse." but this is not entirely the case. I just want to save new users some trouble. If you feel that I did this to piss you off: well, that was not the intention.

*shrugs again and gets some food*

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#12 2007-09-24 15:39:36

floke

No worries wink

FWIF this is the only distro I use where I don't have the testing repos open, precisely because I don't want to break it (of course if I do then that's all the fun of the fair). Arch rocks, but you know that anyway. I was slightly annoyed - but more so at myself - so apologies for being curt.

#13 2007-09-24 17:34:52

btartsa

hi floke, on a side note if you want to catch that error on boot you can hit scroll lock and it should pause it.

#14 2007-09-24 18:23:26

floke

Nice one - cheers Bartsa

Incidentally - after a few boots I could tell that the message was with gdm bin expecting a true or false variable when there was only a '' - but since I've downgraded to get a working system I have nothing concrete to file a bug report with.

#15 2007-09-27 10:47:14

iluva

the problem with the windowboarders lies there, that your emerald is build against libwnck-2.18 and gnome[testing] uses 2.20 . so the easiest way is to build emerald over git or AUR. so this is nothing for a bugreport big_smile

#16 2007-09-27 14:18:10

fwojciec

floke wrote:

Incidentally - after a few boots I could tell that the message was with gdm bin expecting a true or false variable when there was only a '' - but since I've downgraded to get a working system I have nothing concrete to file a bug report with.

The bug with GDM is already reported on flyspray, and it looks like it should be fixed soon, by the way.

Board footer