You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-14 19:43:42

k_odoma

Could azureus be killing my network speeds?

So I share a Qwest DSL line (1536 / 992 Kbps) with a roommate and within the last month or so we've been having an issue with our connection slowing to a crawl. We both think it's my computer and the only thing I can guess would be causing the problem is azureus.

Network related, I normally run folding@home, ntpd (which I installed after all the problems started), firestarter, thunderbird connected to gmail via pop, and occasionally azureus. After the slow-downs I set up/down limits on the torrents I was running and made sure that all old torrents were deleted. The slowdown occurred again last night when I was running a torrent but I had the up/down speeds set to 40up/10down so that shouldn't have killed everything.

The one clue that I have that azureus is the problem is that when I would start it up and the auto-update feature for azureus would pop up (I've since turned this off), my network connection would slow to about 1.5k/0.5k and immediately shoot back up again after I canceled the update.

Is it possible that azureus is choking my speeds?

#2 2007-10-15 11:17:30

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Could azureus be killing my network speeds?

It's azureus. The upload is killing you.

The theoretical max KB/s for your connection is 124, and you'll never reach that. You're already using up 40, which is a large percentage of what you'd be able to get. Add in the high number of connections used by bittorrent, and the ensuing traffic, and it's almost certainly azureus.

You've probably also got a cheap modem or router that's probably doing a bad job of managing all this traffic... and it's not going to help much at all.

There's an easy way to check, don't torrent for a few days smile

James

#3 2007-10-17 01:32:49

k_odoma

Yeah I switched to transmission and haven't had any problems since. It's got what I want (peer info; doesn't rely on java) so I'm through with azureus. What I'm still unclear on is how the auto-update feature can just lock up the bandwidth. Right after starting azureus up, before any torrents had begun downloading/seeding, it would lock up and release as soon as I canceled the update. Weird.

#4 2007-10-17 02:22:53

stonecrest

I had a similar problem with rtorrent (well, libtorrent) in that it would cause my network to keep dying and would force me to reset my modem. Even with upload speeds capped below max. I also switched to transmission and have been very happy, not a single network issue even with ~15 torrents open and no upload cap big_smile

I am a gated community.

Board footer