You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-24 23:08:06

mrunion
Website

Netcfg Versus Wicd

I have been fighting networking on this laptop like with no other.  I'm completely fried on the problem.

Here's my issue:

I regularly connect to TWO networks -- one is "Home" and the other is "Work".  Home is "open" and uses DHCP.  Work uses a 128bit WEP key and uses DHCP.

At home I can only connect if I use "netcfg" -- Wicd doesn't connect.  At work I can only connect by using Wicd -- "netcfg" doesn't connect.  I'm going insane with this.  I just want to get my laptop to allow me to connect to both these networks with little trouble.  Am I making sense?

This laptop has a 4965 wireless card and I'm using IWL.  Can someone maybe provide some assistance?

Oh, the funny thing:  When I look at the "everything.log" trying to connect to Home with Wicd, I see it try to get an IP for wlan0, the messages from DHCLIENT doing things.  I never gets an IP.  When I use "netcfg" and look at the logs, I see messages from DHCDBD actually getting an IP address.  It seems that whatever Wicd is doing is using dhclient and NOT working.  If I execute "dhclient wlan0" from the command line I see the same looping messages about DHDISCOVER...255.255.255.255 port 67.... over and over.

I'm spent on this.  You guys got any clues?  (Note, I prefer to use netcfg...)

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

Board footer