You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-26 17:47:50

fiod

Using a linux box to port-forward

Hey,

I recently set my home router to send all port requests to a arch-based linux desktop, using the DMZ feature.

I now want to somehow manage all port forwarding from that linux box. For example, I want that the ports used by aMule will
be directed to my laptop (which has a fixed IP on the home network).

Is there any way of doing so?
Can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks
Fiod

#2 2007-10-26 22:58:20

daf666
Website

Re: Using a linux box to port-forward

You need to forward packets from the router directly to the laptop, why would you want another gateway in the way of your traffic?

#3 2007-10-27 10:34:40

fiod

Thanks for the reply.

My router's software is really buggy, and does not work as good as you expect.
It sometimes simply forget the rule to direct the specific port to a different IP.

Thus, I want to direct everything to the desktop computer, and from there direct the packages I want to the laptop.

Thanks again for the reply,
Fiod

#4 2007-10-27 11:04:44

pelle.k

buy a new router? that would easily outweigh the work needed to do what you want to do.
You could do some iptables magic to port forward naturally. I find firehol very convenient to do this sort of stuff, because i'm not very fluent in iptables really.
Basically, you want to share your connection, but only for a few ports. They have excellent documentation to do this at firehol.sf.net.

Last edited by pelle.k (2007-10-27 11:05:33)

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

Board footer