You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-31 20:32:13

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Losing wireless connection with Netgear WG111

Hi all,
during these few days I'm having a *very* frustrating problem.

My wireless dongle keeps disconnecting from the router, and there's no way (that I know of) to bring it back online except from rebooting. What I try to do is restarting the network or stopping the network and dhcpcd the interface. None of those work.

I have no idea of what might be causing this, what and where should I check?
Also, is there any other way to reconnect without rebooting?

Thanks a lot smile

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#2 2007-10-31 22:43:01

kumico
Website

Re: Losing wireless connection with Netgear WG111

i use wicd to maintain the network connection (started at boot instead of network) it also has the capability to reconnect on connection loss ,,
to reconnect the network you shouldn't need to do more than a /etc/rc.d/network restart ,,, u shouldn't need to dhcpcd the interface either, just set it up in /etc/rc.conf or in a network profile

Last edited by kumico (2007-10-31 22:44:42)

#3 2007-10-31 22:55:32

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Everything is set up correctly in my rc.conf, that's why I was wondering why restarting the network wouldn't work. I'll try to see if there's any tutorial on wicd, and hope it will work for me, thanks smile

Edit
Ok, I have installed wicd, but it doesn't work for me. I can see my router, but can't connect to it when I click on "Connect". I don't understand why... Perhaps I should give a look to NetworkManager...

Edit²
NetworkManager doesn't seem to be the solution for me, since it seems to be working only as a dock app for either Gnome or KDE. I am a Ratpoison user, and have no use of a dock app. I have tried it without the actual gnome-network-manager thing, and it didn't connect me automatically... I wonder what else is there for me...

Last edited by finferflu (2007-11-01 00:12:10)

Have you Syued today?

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#4 2007-11-01 11:45:55

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Ok, I'm getting somewhere now.
If I restart the network, I can ping google.com. But if I start browsing I lose connection. So I tried to start pinging google.com and browsing at the same time, and after a few seconds, ping gives this message:

ping: sendmsg: No buffer space available

So my last solution was to unplug the wireless dongle and plug it back in. It worked, but I guess I'm gonna lose connectivity again. So I infer that the buffer (don't know which one) gets flooded by something. What can this problem be? Could it be kernel related, since it has started to happen only lately?

Thanks.

Last edited by finferflu (2007-11-01 11:55:18)

Have you Syued today?

#5 2007-11-01 18:33:33

kumico
Website

hmm, i googled the erro,,, and it seems 'Try booting with acpi=off and/or noapci' may fix this

#6 2007-11-01 18:40:36

NoOneImportant

lemme guess, you're using ndiswrapper

if so, modprobe -r ndiswrapper, then modprobe ndiswrapper

#7 2007-11-01 18:46:34

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

@ kumiko
I did the same, and I'm testing now whether this works or not, that's why I haven't posted anything yet.

@ NoOneImportant
Yes, you guessed correctly. What might be causing causing this? I think your method is the same thing as unplugging and plugging the dongle back in...

Have you Syued today?

#8 2007-11-02 00:45:45

NoOneImportant

finferflu wrote:

@ NoOneImportant
Yes, you guessed correctly. What might be causing causing this? I think your method is the same thing as unplugging and plugging the dongle back in...

I don't know what causes/

I too use a dongle, and trust me, it's not the same. But, based on my experience, there are two ways to solve this problem.

1) stop the network daemon, remove and reinsert the ndiswrapper module, and restart the network daemon

or

2)use the dhcdbd and networkmanager daemon with a networkmanager ui (like knetworkmanager); however, this method will also limit your bandwidth every few seconds to avoid the problem from happening (very annoying if you play online games like nexuiz and urban terror)

Last edited by NoOneImportant (2007-11-02 00:46:13)

#9 2007-11-06 00:35:45

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Sorry for the delay. None of those methods worked, however, after the last kernel upgrade, everything seems to be back to normal, so it must have been something dodgy in the previous kernel...

Thanks for your support anyway smile

Have you Syued today?

Board footer