You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-06 20:22:08

RobF

Autostarting wlan0 fails after recent full system upgrade

Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop, Broadcom 4311 chipset, running with Windows driver bcmwl5 via ndiswrapper, using WAP v.1 encryption (TKIP).

I'd done a full system upgrade a month ago and my wireless connection was working flawlessly, using Arch network profiles to pick the wlan0 interface.  During bootup the boot process would pause for some 10 sec while setting up wlan0, producing the messages

Starting network profile: wlan0                        [DONE]
Starting Network                                             [BUSY]
SIOCADDRT: File exists
                                                                          [FAIL]

then move on to launch the desktop, and the wlan0 interface would be working.

Yesterday, I did a full system upgrade (pacman -Syu).  162 packages were upgraded, and kernel26 was upgraded from 2.6.22.9-1 to 2.6.23.1-6.  After this upgrade, and with no changes made by me to /etc/rc.conf, /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf, /etc/network-profiles/wlan0 or to the router configuration, the boot process now halts at wlan0 setup much longer (30 sec?), producing the messages

Starting network profile: wlan0                          [BUSY]  .... -> 30 sec pause
Starting Network
SIOCADDRT: No such process
                                                                        [FAIL]

and then proceeds to load the desktop but wlan0 is not available.  "iwlist wlan0 scanning" gives me the ESSID and MAC address of my access point and some encryption specs but "ifconfig wlan0" (after "ifconfig wlan0 up") doesn't show an IP address for my laptop.

I can bring up wlan0 manually with "/etc/rc.d/network start".  But even that doesn't work always, i.e. after running this command, the KDE network monitor (KNemo 0.4.8) would appear in the taskbar, telling me that a connection has been established to my wireless access point but then it may not get the static IP address for my laptop that I'd configured and a route to the gateway, and after about 20 sec the KNemo icon may disappear again, and I don't have a wlan0 connection.

What changed in that last system upgrade and how can I fix this problem?

#2 2007-11-07 12:55:45

Preacher

Re: Autostarting wlan0 fails after recent full system upgrade

I upgraded 2 PCs and have suffered similar problems.

PC
Unable to see PCI Wireless Card
Does not start NETWORK daemon

LAPTOP
Broadcom Wireless Card does not work using NDISWRAPPER
NETWORK daemon starts, but with errors
I think the problem here is either with wpa_supplicant or NDISWRAPPER

I am not sure exactly why these problems have come up following the recent upgrade.  I need to find out how to roll-back to the old settings!!!!

To be a preacher requires two apparently contradictory qualities: confidence and humility.

Board footer