You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-21 19:09:34

ould

Thinking about setting up a server using Arch

Hi everyone,

I have been using Arch on my Main Desktop for about 6 months and am loving it for the most part. I now have an old PC sitting around which is housed in a large server sized case. I am also running a MythTV box which is currently a combined Frontend/Backend and runs on Ubuntu currently, which I would also like to switch over to Arch possibly.

What I am debating is to use my old hardware which is currently collecting dust and set it up as a server for my home network. I would move my Myth backend onto this machine as well and move the two tuners into it to. Also I would like to have this machine act as a firewall/router, webserver, media server etc etc. I have never done this before so looking for some advice on what to use to accomplish this. I have read about a few applications such as monowall, ipcop, ebox, webmin but not sure what is best and relatively easy to setup. I would like to manage the server for the most part without a monitor so remote access and web based applications are preferred here and I would have SSH and probably VNC running as well. I would also like to have OpenVPN running so I can access my LAN remotely for whatever reasons I need. My old hardware is an AMD Socket A 2000+(I think) with at least 512mb of ram if not 1 gig(can't remember for sure). I think it has ethernet built on the motherboard and I would need to add a second NIC for router duties I guess. I think this hardware should be more than sufficient. 

Any advice on how to proceed is greatly appreciated. My other option was to get a Linksys router that can have DD-WRT installed on it but I figure the server idea is much more useful and flexible plus it gets my Myth backend separated from my frontend.

Kevin

Board footer