You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-22 02:54:10

random

[SOLVED] Yet another NetworkManager problem (No network device found)

Of course, I followed the wiki's directions and have looked around on here and people seem to have success with something close to this:

/etc/rc.conf

. . .

MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes"
MOD_BLACKLIST=()

MODULES=(8139cp 8139too mii bcm43xx ac97_bus snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-ac97-codec snd-atiixp-modem snd-atiixp soundcore)
USELVM="no"

HOSTNAME="archbox"

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
eth1="dhcp"

INTERFACES=(lo !eth0 !eth1)

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng slim !network dhcdbd networkmanager netfs crond mysqld)

# End of file

Dbus is started as `ps ax | grep dbus` shows.

Knetworkmanager shows the "No network device found" message when I right-click on it and nm-applet says something like that too when I try to right click on it.

`sudo NetworkManager --no-daemon` shows this, which is interesting:

NetworkManager: <info>  starting...
NetworkManager: <info>  Updating allowed wireless network lists.
NetworkManager: <WARN>  nm_dbus_get_networks_cb(): error received: org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo.NoNetworks - org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo.NoNetworks.
NetworkManager: <info>  nm_policy_device_change_check:: !old_dev && !new_dev!!

I'm lost. neutral

Last edited by random (2007-11-23 04:48:50)

--name="Zach"

#2 2007-11-22 14:34:30

ks1
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Yet another NetworkManager problem (No network device found)

I explicitely run dbus and hal in the DAEMONS array. Not sure if the NetworkManager script will start these if it is not running already.

Is your user in the "network" group?
try running nm-applet in the terminal.

Last edited by ks1 (2007-11-22 14:35:44)

#3 2007-11-22 15:35:44

thayer
Fellow
Website

Yes, hal should be specified and before dhcdbd. The hal daemon will automatically launch the dbus daemon so need to specify both.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#4 2007-11-23 04:39:20

random

Yeah dbus gets started automatically as previously stated and nm-applet says no devices where found as well.

I'm using wlassistant in the meantime since it works well. I'd say it might be a bcm43xx issue since there's that ipw-something issue that might/seems-to be out there but I doubt that since it doesn't detect the wired, RTL-based device. I'd love to use networkmanager one of these days, though, since it was really sweet on Gentoo and Kubuntu||Ubuntu. As an unimportant side-note, I want to say that my Arch experience has been far more pleasant than any other GNU/Linux distribution I've used to date.

EDIT: Strangely enough, and just for fun, I added hal to the daemons list before dhcdbd and it started working like a charm. Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited by random (2007-11-23 04:48:30)

--name="Zach"

Board footer