You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-13 16:40:28

Raizha_Phyrok

[SOLVED?]Can't scan wireless ap's

Hello, first, sorry for my very poor english.

The problem that I have is that I never scan wireless access points, neither knetworkmanager, commands on terminal, or other options, always I have an "no networks found" message, even when I'm very close to my wireless router, or any type of wifi connection.

I've an inprocomm ipn2220 wireless lan card, using the ndiswrapper to run it's windows drivers, and I can connect without problems writing on the Networkmanager interface all the data, like essid, wpa key, etc... When I did it all works fine, even the wireless detection, but when I aren't connected to any ap, scan don't work.

Anyone can help me, please? Thanks.

Last edited by Raizha_Phyrok (2007-12-14 19:06:49)

Requiescat In Pain.

#2 2007-12-14 00:29:17

uastasi

Re: [SOLVED?]Can't scan wireless ap's

First of all you could replace ndiswrapper with linux native drivers giving this command:

# pacman -S ipw2200-fw

Anyway, try to de-associate the card from any ap (supposing your interface is called wlan0):

# iwconfig wlan0 key off
# iwconfig wlan0 essid any

and try now to scan for networks

# iwlist wlan0 scan

Till the last battle, till the last bottle.
aur - twitter

#3 2007-12-14 14:24:19

Raizha_Phyrok

Hello, thanks for helping. Are you sure I must install the ipn2200 drivers? Those drivers are for the intel pro wireless 2200 card, but mine is an Inprocomm ipw2220 wireless lan card, I think they are totaly different.

Anyway, I found the "solution" when I put down on the konsole the commands that you wrote, I can scan correctly the networks, but the command

iwconfig wlan0 essid any

gives me the following error:

Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

But as I said, I can scan correctly the wireless networks.

A lot of thanks for helping me.

Requiescat In Pain.

#4 2007-12-14 16:08:59

dante4d

I had some problem. You have to be root I suppose. Otherwise, this approach works fine... Then you can scan for networks... And for laptops, don't forget to turn your wifi killswitch on big_smile

#5 2007-12-14 19:06:26

Raizha_Phyrok

Well, at the end I made an icon to launch all those commands to scan wifi networks, and it appears to works, not fine at all, but works correctly. A lot of thanks for all the help received, as I always says, "The arch forums rocks".

Requiescat In Pain.

Board footer