You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-19 08:09:16

voodoo.child

[SOLVED] pppoe problem

my isp requires pppoe. until recently everything was working almost perfectly, but the day before yesterday  pppoe-start started failing to connect to my isp. i don't remember doing something special that might have caused pppoe not to work. however, i remember installing openssh and modifying hosts.allow file, but changing it back didn't help it.

any idea? i really need my internet connection under linux.

Last edited by voodoo.child (2007-12-21 21:25:55)

--
Alexandru

#2 2007-12-21 04:46:41

loserMcloser

Re: [SOLVED] pppoe problem

rp-pppoe logs what it is doing to /var/log/messages.log -- there might be some clues as to what is going on in there.

#3 2007-12-21 21:25:38

voodoo.child

Re: [SOLVED] pppoe problem

there was no log in there except "connection failed; attempt to reconnect" . however i solved the problem. it was something that seems like a pacman bug.

let me describe it: my isp decided to install pppoe without announcing me (how stupid isn't it?) all i had was one page to register for an account. however i didn't have rp-pppoe installed so I grabed archlinux install-cd and installed the package. however i had to downgrade libpcap to 0.9.97 (hope i'm not wrong) because this particular version was required by pppd on cd. when I installed openssh i also installed nmap which required libpcap >= 0.9.98; therefore pacman upgraded the package breaking the dependency. pppd was dying misteriously and pppoe-connect reported the error as "connection failed".

--
Alexandru

Board footer