You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-20 23:43:36

l33tunderground
Banned

HELP NEEDED! Realtek 8185 wireless card -- Worse than all I've seen.

I'm not even kidding, it's even worse than the ordeals that I had with the Broadcom 4138 card 0.o

GATEWAY MT3421
    AMD TURION 64 (Arch, and several other distros hang during install with 32 bit so I use 64 bit)
    SEEMINGLY KNOWN ISSUES WITH BIOS BUG #81[00000000] (It hangs up unless ACPI is turned off via noapic)
    FEDORA CORE 8 ABSOLUTELY SCREWED OVER MY HARD DRIVE A FEW TIMES, AND I THINK MESSED UP MY BIOS CLOCK...
      (I still don't really understand what happened here, but now every once and a while my hard drive needs to have some inodes recovered via fsck [arch handles it automatically during boot])

I'll probably be checking the manufacturer for BIOS update (if anyone happens across a link to such an update it would be appreciated, because I have NO idea where to start on this one...).

Here's the output related to the card from lspci:

06:09.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8185 IEEE 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 20)

The Ndiswrapper card database recommends using the driver from the Realtek website. When I tried that the first instruction given for the installation failed miserably.

So then I tried what I did to get it working before, use Ndiswrapper on the card with the Windows driver from the Realtek site, but now I'm having some trouble and I'm not sure what it's from. I'm on a 64 bit system (I'll try doing it with the 32 bit drivers in a second here) and ndiswrapper installs the driver, detects that hardware and does all the stuff that it's supposed to, until

modprobe ndiswrapper

At which point it just hangs there indefinitely, and adding ndiswrapper to rc.conf modules just makes it worse. After rebooting the machine I get a large number of error codes that I have no idea what they're talking about (I'm assuming it has something to do with the interface with the device). The only way to pass by them is to turn the power to the card off and boot into the system and remove ndiswrapper from the modules list.

Other than this, I haven't had any problems, any suggestions?

Yes, I do know this should probably be in the Arch64/Kernel and Hardware Issues board.

Last edited by l33tunderground (2007-12-20 23:51:21)

#2 2007-12-21 00:27:57

l33tunderground
Banned

Re: HELP NEEDED! Realtek 8185 wireless card -- Worse than all I've seen.

Ok, VERY strange here...
The 32 bit drivers do not produce the errors, further confirming my suspicions that something's up deeper in the system (especially since the recover disks are for x32 ><). Regardless of that (which could wind up as a topic later lol ) since stuff seems to be working again, the problem still exists that it won't create the wlan0 interface. Any suggestions?

Edit: Well, I got the 32 bit version working (apparently, we'll see if it keeps up) but still don't know about the wireless situation. Sorry this has been such a disjointed post, I hope it clears itself up and I'll post a summary at the end describing the final results for anyone who might have the same issues.

Last edited by l33tunderground (2007-12-21 01:35:36)

#3 2010-03-26 20:43:48

poncho

hihi, i got a lot of trouble with the realtek 8185, finally i compile the driver provided by realtek, http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dow … loads=true and it works properly when you finish download the driver unzip on a folder without spaces, and type inside the driver folder the following (you must have installed the kernel headers, make, gcc4, and maybe kernel sources):
1- make
2- make install
3-reboot.
if you wanna user a 64 bit kernel, you must do a hack on the driver very simple on, just comment line 2065 on the  /driver_folder/rtl8185/r8180_core.c, step 1 and 2 (make, make install), reboot, GOGOGOGO!.

PD: by "comment" i mean adding "//" at the beginning of the line, like this:
                                    rdtsc_rtl(prism_hdr[5], prism_hdr[4]);
//                                  rdtsc_rtl(prism_hdr[5], prism_hdr[4]);

bye, goodluck.

#4 2010-03-26 21:33:25

tomk
Forum Fellow

poncho, this thread is over two years old - please read this.

Closed.

Board footer