You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-30 20:15:08

Problem with networking: "corrupt file" messages

Hello,
i wish to everyone a healthy and happy new year!

I am enthusiast user of archlinux, despite the instabilities i have been facing the last months after the mkinitcpio changes.
Now, i am facing the following problem for over a month:

I have recently installed archlinux on a server intended to act as a file server. I have tried with the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version and i have faced the same problem with both versions. I have also tried with the ftp install versions, for 32 and 64 bit architectures.

This server consists of the following hardware: Intel coreduo 6500 processor, asus p5d motherboard, adaptec raid 31295 controller, 2 gigs of RAM etc. It also has 10 SATA disks attached to the adaptec controller and two sata disks connected to the SATA controller situated on the motherboard, the latter ones intended to be used for system and system backup and the former ones for data (acronis images). This server is intended to act mainly as a backup/restore server for acronis images. My wish was to backup every PC coming to my department and to restore it if necessary, while all images would be kept on that server.

So, when i connect a PC to the same LAN with this server and i try to backup files from the PC to the server, everything is working OK, ie the backup image is stored to the server. This scenario was achieved with FTP and SMB protocols. However, when i try to restore the PC with an image from the above server, then i get the message "corrupt archive" and of course the restore process is stopped.

I have tried other variations, such as use of XFS/EXT2/EXT3 on both the 10-disk array and the 2 system disks, but the results were the same.
I have also tried to put the image on the system disks and on the array disks, but still the same.
So it doesn't seem to be an issue of filesystem, disks, controller hardware, architecture selection.

The only variation that had succesfull results was to put the image on a USB external disk, attach it and mount it to the server and then i managed to restore the other PC without problems. So, it doesn't seem to be a networking issue other?

In Greece i have already been given a hint to check for compatibility issues between the chipset and kernel, but i am wondering, if that was is the problem, then why does the USB disk seen over the network with SMB and FTP functions perfectly?

If somebody has experienced something similar or has an idea, please let me know guys!

Last edited by 123456789 (2007-12-31 16:18:08)

#2 2008-01-02 14:46:48

Re: Problem with networking: "corrupt file" messages

UPDATE:
Hi people,
just to let you know, i tried today with CENTOS and i had exactly the same symptoms.
Which means it's not related to archlinux.
When the problem is resolved, i'll just post the answer here!

Stay cool!

Last edited by 123456789 (2008-01-02 14:47:04)

Board footer