You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-05 04:44:53

underpenguin

More DNS & DHCP Problems

Hi,
I was having some problems, as described in an earlier post (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=41742), and I am still having some problems, but they have changed now and i've narrowed down what is going on, so I decided to create a new post.

I'm using ndiswrapper with broadcom 4311.

First of all, I've looked around, and the documentation for netcfg2 seems a bit lacking.
1)
When I boot up, I want my box to scan the wired connection, and if i'm connected, use the wired 'net.
Otherwise, i want it to look through my netcfg profiles and see if any wifi networks are connected.
I know there is some documentation regarding how to do this, but due to below problems, i haven't got that far.

One thing I don't understand is:
I've read something about how networks managed by /etc/rc.conf and network profiles are different? should my wlan0 be listed in rc.conf or not?

2)
Currently, when I use wlassistant, I (usually) can get my wireless to work if I connect with wlassistant and then run
dhcpcd wlan0
which results in

Error, wlan0: ioctl SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument

(although it does indeed work)
I don't know why I have to run dhcpcd after using wlassistant.

3)
I recently have tried to use netcfg2, as that is what is usually recommended in other forum posts, however, when I use this correctly formatted network profile:

CONNECTION="wireless"
DESCRIPTION="A simple WEP encrypted wireless connection"
INTERFACE=wlan0
SCAN="yes"
SECURITY="wep"
ESSID="<MYESSID>"
KEY="<MYWEPKEY>"
IP="dhcp"

I get this:

[ben@hoth ~]$ sudo netcfg2 <MYPROFILE>
:: <MYPROFILE> up                                                           [BUSY]
 iwconfig: unknown command "<MYWEPKEY>"
                - Could not set wireless configuration                   [FAIL]

This obviously makes no sense.

I installed netcfg2 by
pacman -S testing/netcfg

4)
For whatever reason, I keep ending up with my router's ip in my /etc/resolv.conf. This results in extremely slow domain name resolution. I've temporarily solved this problem by chmod'ing my resolv.conf so it can't be written to and keeping opendns ips in it, but if there was some other solution it would be much preferable. I don't think this is a problem with my router since windows/ubuntu machines have quick dns resolution.

Last edited by underpenguin (2008-01-05 05:00:50)

Board footer