You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-09 01:26:15

calef13

antivirus solutions for linux

Hi,

I have been running arch for a while now on my home server and PCs. I am looking into hardening my server for fun and because I'm feeling a little paranoid, but I am quite surprised at the apparent lack of interest in antivirus software for linux. I know about clamav but haven't see any others, and as far as I know clamav doesn't do real time scanning, I know there aren't many viruses for linux but they do exist so I am looking to install a decent antivirus prog on my server and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or advice on any decent antivirus software.

Also, I was looking at Bastille but it doesn't claim to support arch explicitly, will it still work properly in arch? I'm asking because there doesn't seem to be an uninstall script provided and I don't want to compile it and have to manually rm each folder.

Thanks,

Calef13

#2 2008-01-09 02:06:23

Zer0

Re: antivirus solutions for linux

Avast has a Free Linux Home edition.. never tried it but when I used Avast on my Windows boxes I was surprised to see they had a Linux option.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-for-linu … ation.html

The common argument with Antivirus software for Linux is that all these scanners are said to scan for Windows based viruses, not sure how much (if any) Linux based malware they detect.

#3 2008-01-09 08:39:19

zenlord
Website

I was told virusses don't stand a chance in linux because users don't have root powers. So nothing harmful can be done systemwide...

Zl.

#4 2008-01-09 10:42:58

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

The only thing you'd want an AV on Linux for is because your server is a point of transit for lots of Windows files. Other than that, there is no need for virus scanning on Linux.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2008-01-09 14:25:02

jacko

I have had linux for over a year now in one form or the other. I browse the net daily, d/l bittorrents and all sorts of stupid things.

I have no need for a anti-virus.

#6 2008-01-09 15:48:35

KimTjik

If we're talking about server, like mail-server, I think it would be irresponsible to not use any anti-virus software. However if it's a mail-server, why would we need a real time scanning solution?

I'm fiddling with a mail-server myself, so I've a personal interest in my own question.

#7 2008-01-09 19:20:57

lucke

#8 2008-01-09 19:39:52

calef13

Sorry I took so long to respond, busy day.

Thanks for all the replies. This antivirus solution would be for a workstation but after reading the replies I think I'll just leave it although I might try out the avast antivirus, I use that on windows actually, which is slightly embarassing tongue. I have heard that it's a good idea to install one for a mail server and clamav seems to be geared almost completely towards fulfilling that goal so I would check that out KimTjik.

Can anyone offer any advice on my question about uninstalling bastille?

Board footer