You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-21 03:30:37

JTD

Help with email delivery from server to client

I would appreciate some help / insite into forwarding email from my home server to my Arch client.

Initially I setup Getmail on the Arch client, can download POP3 email to my home directory, and then read it using Kmail via the Maildir format.
This works great and was easy to implement. However, I wanted to get a little more 'advanced' so getmail was setup on the server and can download email no problem.  But what I have not been able to figure out yet is how to forward it to my home directory on the Arch client.

I have googled and read the wiki and it seems like a MDA is needed to do this.  Is this correct?
Or, can I direct Kmail to look at some directory on the server (/var/spool/mail??) and grab the mail from there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JTD

#2 2008-01-21 14:09:00

Endperform
Website

Re: Help with email delivery from server to client

Are you looking to keep your email on the server at all times?  If so, I suggest looking into setting up IMAP on your home server which will do what you need.

#3 2008-01-22 01:50:07

pyther
Website

I'd have to second what endperform said, if you want to keep you mail on your server at all times, just check out IMAP. Also you can organize your mail in folders with imap smile

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#4 2008-01-22 02:58:19

JTD

Endperform wrote:

Are you looking to keep your email on the server at all times?  If so, I suggest looking into setting up IMAP on your home server which will do what you need.

Endperform:  yes that is the plan.  Do still keep getmail to fetch the pop3 email from my ISP and the setup IMAP so 'forward' onto the Arch client?

Thanks for the reply.

pyther wrote:

I'd have to second what endperform said, if you want to keep you mail on your server at all times, just check out IMAP. Also you can organize your mail in folders with imap smile

pyther: Thanks for confirming what I've googled.

JTD

Board footer