You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-24 12:44:38

moqwai

[Solved]knetworkmanager and Wicd needs two or more connects to work...

Hi, this is my first topic. I'm not that new in Linux, but new in Arch.

So, previously I ran Ubuntu on my laptop, Acer Extensa 5220. Wlan worked very well with WICD. With Arch its a little bit more difficult to set up a working auto-connected configuration.
When wlan works, it works perfetly with nice speed and no break-downs, disconnections or what ever. But the way to get it started is confusing. 

I have tried with knetworkmanager and wicd. The problem is, when I start up,  I get no connection on default, I always have to choose my wlan and connect to it. First, I got a connection, but breaks down several seconds after. The second connect works most of the time, than it works perfectly, as mentioned above. But sometimes I need 3-4 tries to get it working.

The daemons I'm running are networkmanager and dhcbd for knetworkmanager, and wicd and network for wicd. The others are bashed out, according to what method I'm trying. I tried every possible set-up, nothing.

The interfaces are bashed out also, but I tried also both ways. Even with eth1="dhcp" (yes, wlan is eth1, maybe the reason? how can i change this?) and without.

What more infos do you need? As I said, when it goes, it goes perfectly. Only the start is tricky.

Edit: netcfg works, but only for a few seconds, too. Grrrrr.

Thanks.

Greetings   

(sorry for language-mistakes, not a native-speaker ;-) )

Last edited by moqwai (2008-04-28 13:56:09)

#2 2008-02-03 13:36:50

moqwai

Re: [Solved]knetworkmanager and Wicd needs two or more connects to work...

*push*

No clues?

#3 2008-02-04 05:01:42

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

the network script is a basic networking script. knetworkmanager and wicd are both front-ends, they write to the same files the network script writes to. all 3 run independently of each other.

This is mostly hardware. There is however, a possibility that the driver setup is not optimal in your Arch system, like it was in Ubuntu, so the connection strength is fluctuating when acquiring the IP and such.

Is this broadcom? eth1 is fine and normal.

Last edited by schivmeister (2008-02-04 05:02:41)

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#4 2008-04-28 13:54:53

moqwai

Solved!
With last update of knetworkmanager and networkmanager the error is history and it works as expected.

Last edited by moqwai (2008-04-28 13:55:30)

Board footer