You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-30 00:15:34

Crooksey
Website

wpa_supplicant, "Bus error"

Just installed on a new fresh system, i type either "wpa_passphrase" or "wpa_supplicant" and i am returned with...

Bus error

New update, bug maybe?

Need anymore information, just ask.

Wget gives the same error, corrupt install maybe?

Was a fresh base install, so just re installed (via ftp) and worked fine, was using the core.iso from the belnet.be repo.

Last edited by Crooksey (2008-01-31 09:35:22)

Arch Linux since 2006
Python Web Developer + Sys Admin (Gentoo/BSD)

#2 2008-02-10 19:30:59

jyrijyri

Re: wpa_supplicant, "Bus error"

Hi!

I've seen this "Bus error" problem pop up many times on my laptop, desktop and several servers. All running Arch Linux, of course. I have a hunch this may have something to do with xfs -- do you happen to be using it too?

It has something to do with either Pacman or the file system itself messing things up when installing or upgrading packages. There are typically no signs of problems during the installation, but afterwards some programs just refuse to work, popping up this super informative bus error message.

This problem can have really nasty consequences, if you've upgraded openssh (or some of it's dependencies) on a remote host, and after rebooting it turns out that sshd isn't running anymore. I suggest running ldconfig after all system upgrades; if some of the important libraries have been broken during the upgrade, you'll see message(s) saying "/path/to/a/library.so is truncated", telling you you'll have to re-install them.

The fix is simply to re-install whatever is broken. However, it's pretty typical that the program that gives you this "bus error" message is actually ok, but some of the dependencies it needs don't work. It may therefore be difficult to find out what exactly needs to be re-installed.

Here's my quick'n'dirty fix:

pacman -S `pacman -Q | awk '{ print $1; }'`

That will simply re-install each and every package already installed in your system. This far it has always done the trick for me. I hope it helps you too. smile

- Jyri

Board footer