You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-28 03:18:21

Misbah

Wireless connectivity FRUSTRATION!!

Ok, so I followed the beginners install guide to get a clean base install of arch. When i went to ping google as it said to, I got the unresolved host error. I referred myself to the wireless network setup guide. This is what I did starting from "Configure the System" in the beginners guide, concerning networking stuff.

under rc.conf I changed my hostname to Hostname="MisbARCH"
I had an additional lo="lo 127.0.0.1" entry that wasn't in the beginner's guide exampl, I left it alone.
I commented out the original eth0=" 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255" and added eth0="dhcp" (this was later changed to wlan0=dhcp after i got the rt2500 drivers installed and wlan popped up inder iwconfig, and upon network start in boot it said 'eth0 no such network device recgonized)
under interfaces I left it alone, but again, I had the additional interface lo interfaces=(lo eth0).
I commented out gateway="default gateway 192.168.0.1" as it said to since I was using DHCP.

under /etc/hosts I changed the listing to read:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost MisbARCH

I know it's kind of silly but I wasn't sure if localhost/localdomain were place holders for info I was supposed to enter, I had no values for those to put in, so I left it alone.

This was when the guide told me to ping, and I returned unresolved host. went to the wireless setup guide.

did hwdetect --show-net and it gave back:
mac80211 rt2500 eeprom93cxb rt2500pci rt2X00pci rt2X00lib rt2X00pci cfg 80211

From my ubuntu install, I know the ralink rt2500 works for my linksys card. so then I:
pacman -S wireless tools
it gave back current local invalid using default C local, up to date, want to install anyways, blah blah, yes yes. Then:
pacman -S rt2500
gave back same as above, installed.

iwconfig and ifconfig -a showed my wlan0

then under rc.conf I set wlan0="dhcp" and INTERFACES=(lo wlan0)

under conf.d/wireless I set
wlan_wlan0="wlan0 essid longhorns key 1234567890" (used the real key ofcourse, not passphrase i presume) and WLAN_INTERFACES=(wlan0)

on boot, when it says starting network, it just times out. I've tried disabling WEP on my router and deleting the "key 1234567890" portion of the wlan_wlan0= value, no fix. what am I doing wrong? I know you guys prob want iwconfig and ifconfig-a and other code outputs, but this is on a seperate desktop with obviously no internet access, so let me know what you need to help me in terms of out put and i'll do it the old fashion way, careful writing down and typing.

what the hell is 'lo' anyways? should i be disabling that. I just want it to work, the arch install was going so smoothly..

EDIT: I removed lo=... and removed lo from INTERFACES=...
I tried uncommenting the gateway line and defining it as 192.168.1.1, no go. I removed ! from the ROUTES= line, it took a bit longer to time out, but i got a fail on a process called SIOCD something on boot and shut down, figured that was the wrong direction. Tried removing the key 1234567890 portion and disabled WEP on my router, no go. The hardware is detected. The driver is there. The light on my pci adaptor flashes indicating transmission when its trying to connect to network. What am i doing wrong? Does it have nothing to do with the conf.d/wireless and rc.conf files? Could it be something else? should i run network daemon in the background (@network), should i change certain settings on my router? Did I do something stupid that's case-sensetive related? My key is only 10 digits long as its basic 64 bit wep, I have checked it 50 gazillion times. I want to do it this way (using non roaming access) because it said its recommended for comps that only connect to 1 network. this desktop is rarely used and never moved, and this SEEMED like the simplest manner to get it working. I'm afraid with net profiles i have more room for error and will *()$*)# more *$(#* up. SO FRUSTRATING!!! sadmad

The router is set to channel 8, basic key, I type in the key instead of using the s:wirelesspassword thing because I'm not even sure what that is, the only thing i can think of is my timezone set on ARCH doesnt match the routers because I couldnt find the file containing time zones when i was setting up arch under /usr/share/zoneinfo.. just didnt exist on my fresh install with all packages selected..but i doubt that has anything to do with it.. sigh. Does the key have to be in quotes? I dont even think its that im connected to the router and being denied internet access.. i never show up as a client on the router and i cant ping anyone else on the network or the router itself either.

Last edited by Misbah (2008-02-28 06:34:39)

#2 2008-02-28 07:04:57

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Wireless connectivity FRUSTRATION!!

Please don't cross-post. Your Newbie Corner thread will probably be answered shortly.

Closed.

Board footer