You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-29 03:45:31

synthead

aireplay-ng with Ubiquiti causes kernel panics

With the 300mW 802.11b/g Ubiquiti cardbus card, if I run an aireplay-ng attack on my network, it causes a kernel panic.  I'm following the simple WEP crack tutorial on the aircrack-ng website, and it happens right when I do a command similar to this one:

aireplay-ng -1 0 -e teddy -a 00:14:6C:7E:40:80 -h 00:0F:B5:88:AC:82 ath0

If I'm out of range of my network, it'll simply show "Sending Authentication Request" many times without a panic, but when I get closer, it just crashes at that message.

Any idea on how to fix this?

#2 2008-02-29 22:47:26

synthead

Re: aireplay-ng with Ubiquiti causes kernel panics

Well, my card is kinda fubarred as it is, so I'm going to treat myself to a new one and see if this continues to occur.

#3 2008-03-08 02:56:16

synthead

I just got my brand new Ubiquiti card in the mail and it does the same thing sad

#4 2008-03-08 07:30:01

synthead

I read a little into it, and it sounds like iwl3945 causes kernel panics with aireplay-ng.  I am using iwl3945, but I'm not using it with aireplay-ng.  I even went as far as to remove the iwl3945 packages including the firmware while blacklisting the iwl3945 kernel module but it still panics.  Unless updating the kernel and other misc packages count, the only change I can recall that's even remotely related to this issue is switching over to iwl3945 from ipw3945.

I tried building a package from svn, but the make failed.  I'm going to work on it some, I'll post what happens.  But if you have a solution, please let me know! big_smile

#5 2008-03-08 07:41:21

synthead

I think at this point, I'm going to file a bug report.  On the aircrack-ng website, it mentions that it has problems with Atheros cards on some kernels.  So apparently, it's not aircrack-ng, or even the iwl3945 kernel module, it's about how aireplay-ng cooperates with the kernel.  Hopefully this will get fixed soon ... I'll still play with it though.

#6 2008-03-08 08:02:58

synthead

Here is the bug report: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9784

#7 2008-03-08 12:50:09

Bebo

I have (had (see below)) similar problems. I have a Netgear Wireless PC card (WG511T) which I run with the madwifi drivers. I had no problems with it during the autumn, but when I tried again in the beginning of this year I started getting these scary-looking kernel errors - sheets of them - and lock-ups (sometimes it seemed only X hung, and sometimes everything).

Since I didn't know where to start digging I have been trying to find some kind of bug report from others on this, and I've followed this thread since the start. Now, I looked into your bug report, synthead, and following tpowa's advice I enabled testing and upgraded the kernel26, madwifi and madwifi-utils packages. And now it seems to be working again smile

#8 2008-03-08 17:37:41

synthead

Bebo wrote:

I have (had (see below)) similar problems. I have a Netgear Wireless PC card (WG511T) which I run with the madwifi drivers. I had no problems with it during the autumn, but when I tried again in the beginning of this year I started getting these scary-looking kernel errors - sheets of them - and lock-ups (sometimes it seemed only X hung, and sometimes everything).

Since I didn't know where to start digging I have been trying to find some kind of bug report from others on this, and I've followed this thread since the start. Now, I looked into your bug report, synthead, and following tpowa's advice I enabled testing and upgraded the kernel26, madwifi and madwifi-utils packages. And now it seems to be working again smile

Ohhhhh maaaaaaannnnn, I didn't even think of that at all.  Woooowwww ... oh man.  I need a drink. roll

#9 2008-03-08 20:25:14

Bebo

Hehe, if it weren't for your comment above - that the aircrack-ng website mentioned problems with Atheros cards on some kernels - and your bug report, I wouldn't have figured it out. Like you, I thought I had broken my card smile

#10 2008-03-09 02:25:15

synthead

Bebo wrote:

Hehe, if it weren't for your comment above - that the aircrack-ng website mentioned problems with Atheros cards on some kernels - and your bug report, I wouldn't have figured it out. Like you, I thought I had broken my card smile

That's great to hear! big_smile  I try to post any findings to the forum in hope I can help someone out with the same problem.  Good communication is what keeps linux strong, I believe ...

So I downloaded the new kernel, 2.6.24.3-3.  Running the same command against my router (and I really mean I'm using my own router), it sends the authentication request and succeeds, but it kernel panics at the "sending association request" message.  Very close! tongue  I'm going to also post this on the bug report.

I have to give the developers props to working so hard on Arch.  I got a response to the report from a fellow dev within a matter of hours!

#11 2008-03-09 08:37:36

synthead

UPDATE!

I installed madwifi and madwifi-utils from testing just to see what happens, and I was able to run -1 type aireplay-ng commands successfully!  I will look into this a little bit more to make sure this was the problem.  I'll also experiment with what I have more.  If everything seems right, I'll mark this closed and make a comment on the bug report.

Bebo, you should install madwifi and madwifi-utils from testing with the latest kernel and see if you can use your Ubiquiti too (if you find the time)!  big_smile

#12 2008-03-09 10:46:31

synthead

It must've been the stable madwifi drivers.  I've been injecting with the testing madwifi drivers all night and I haven't had a problem in the world.  I also found some bad news about madwifi and Ubiquiti cards right on the madwifi.org site:

http://madwifi.org/ticket/1819
http://madwifi.org/ticket/1729

Looks like I'm not alone!  Of course, it's not directly related, but I would imagine those users are experiencing similar problems too.  Panics = gross ...  I'm calling this solved, I'm going to put a comment in the bug report too.

Bebo ... I just read your comment about madwifi.  Damn ... hahahaha.  I'm captain misseverything, what's your's? tongue

Board footer