You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-07 18:38:21

JaDa
Website

out-of-date flag?

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=44469

tomk
Developer/Forum Adviser

OK, I'm closing this thread. We have an established system for requesting package updates, and that is the out-of-date flag at archlinux.org/packages. The package maintainer is automatically mailed when the flag is set. Please use it.

That's a great tool. But what is if the develomer didn't ............

jre 6u3-2 & jdk 6u3-1 out of date sinze Jan. 2008! latest 6u5

seamonkey 1.1.6-1 out of date sinze Nov 2007! latest 1.1.8

I will not list all packages but there are a lot out of date.

I am using ABS and build my own packages. But I am not smart enough to build all of them. With seamonkey it faild.

Now what to do?

openSUSE
Arch Linux
USALUG

#2 2008-03-07 18:42:53

brebs

Re: out-of-date flag?

See how Gentoo compile seamonkey. Create a working pkgbuild, then advertise it, I suppose.

#3 2008-03-07 18:59:05

Blind

While I agree that the DIY argument especially holds true for ArchLinux in many cases, I am with JaDa here.
Some important packages are just not updated timely. Arguably, those are not that important. However, with the DIY argument you could just not update any packages anymore and tell the users to cook their own. This cannot be the philosophy of Arch.

And being a similar issue: some packages are just totally out of data, e.g. compiz & co. As those are user contributed, I think there should be some automatism in place that orphans the packages automatically after they have been flagged out of date for longer than a quarter year or so. This is understanding that those contributors probably have real life things to do other than update their packages.
Don't get me wrong, I deem their contributions highly valuable.
Nevertheless, if they don't even have the time to post a short message in AUR stating what is up, I think at some point there should be auto-orphaning to make it possible for other users to step in quickly without jumping through loops.

My 2c.
Blind

#4 2008-03-07 19:21:10

tomk
Forum Fellow

I'm pretty sure every Arch user has their "favourite" out-of-date packages - jre and seamonkey for JaDa, <insert_pkgname_here> for <insert_username_here>, etc. Please be patient, and remember that Arch devs also have "real life things to do other than update their packages."

Re auto-orphaning in the AUR, AFAIR there is a feature request for this. If you want it badly, get hold of the AUR source code and submit a patch.

#5 2008-03-07 19:53:39

JaDa
Website

Blind wrote:

Nevertheless, if they don't even have the time to post a short message in AUR stating what is up, I think at some point there should be auto-orphaning to make it possible for other users to step in quickly without jumping through loops.

My 2c.
Blind

This is what I think!

If not, maybe "work groups" the packages are not owned by a User, it is owned by a "work group". I think there are some smart people in AUR how are not TU oder Developmer how can build the packages, and a developmer or TU re-check it and it will be good to go.

Plus, developmers from all Levels can join the "work groups".

tomk wrote:

Re auto-orphaning in the AUR, AFAIR there is a feature request for this. If you want it badly, get hold of the AUR source code and submit a patch.

Sorry tomk, not every user is a developmer, remember this also wink

And booth packages seamonkey and java 6u3 need to be updated quick. High Security !

openSUSE
Arch Linux
USALUG

#6 2008-03-07 20:12:33

brebs

Security bugs belong in bugzilla - example.

#7 2008-03-07 22:09:01

Blind

tomk wrote:

Please be patient, and remember that Arch devs also have "real life things to do other than update their packages."

No arguing here. I pay highest respect to what the devs are doing - actually I wonder where they take their time from to do all this.

JaDa wrote:

If not, maybe "work groups" the packages are not owned by a User, it is owned by a "work group". I think there are some smart people in AUR how are not TU oder Developmer how can build the packages, and a developmer or TU re-check it and it will be good to go.

I think this is an excellent idea.

Now where does this lead to? Well, I am sure that, quite rightly, everyone will now tell us to go implement it ourselves. I completely agree. But I won't because I can't because I don't have time for this anymore, I have to feed my family.

Honestly, does this mean I should not post? Should all of this just go to the bugtracker? Or do people who have the time to implement dash initscripts read forum messages before looking through all the feature requests in the bugtracker...stream of consciousness here, forgive me.

Cheers,
Blind

[Edit: typo]

Last edited by Blind (2008-03-07 22:16:42)

#8 2008-03-07 22:19:59

JaDa
Website

brebs wrote:

Security bugs belong in bugzilla - example.

don't miss understand me wink

I am not talking about bug reports, I am talking about what can we do to get faster updates. I think everybody know about the latest mozilla security flow smile

My point is how we can make it faster.

@tomk said
"Please be patient, and remember that Arch devs also have "real life things to do other than update their packages."

Patient Yes, but where is the limit?
Seamonkey is out of date from November 2007. This is a to long time, I think. If there will be a development "work-group" called "example broswer" then it can be much faster if differant users have access to the development packages in the work group. The packes will be owned by the "work group" and not by the "maintainer" anymore.

The stress factor went down, because you don't feel so much presure and also have more time for the "real life"!

Registered Users    7373
Trusted Users    23

there is a knowgle, time, from a lot of Users in AUR. I think you can find there many Users how have the short time and the knowgle to help out. User how don't like to stay in the full time development big_smile

openSUSE
Arch Linux
USALUG

#9 2008-03-08 00:15:48

godane
Website

JaDa wrote:

This is what I think!

I use to work on zenwalk where i could add a package to the testing forum and then developers could test it. When it was give the ok the user posted it on FIFO forum so it could be added in the main extra repo.

I think the problem is that people/testers/ TU are afraid of there system getting screw up cause of a bad package. I have a website hosting my project that could help with this problem. Here is the link to my forum: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=43892

I know that people may hate me for promoting my project on a different topic, but this could make testers/TU less afraid of testing packages in unsupported. The only packages that could not be tested are the kernel modules cause I use a different one for these: initrd, squashfs+lzma, and aufs.

Out side of that this could be the perfect testing setup since be a clean start up every time. No worries about packages screwing up the system and have to do a reinstall.

I hope this could help us get more testers to test packages in unsupported.

I'm working on a live cds based on Archlinux. http://godane.wordpress.com/

#10 2008-03-08 13:54:24

berbae

JaDa wrote:

jre 6u3-2 & jdk 6u3-1 out of date sinze Jan. 2008! latest 6u5

The binary source download.java.net/dlj/binaries/jdk-6u5-dlj-linux-i586.bin is not yet available.
See https://jdk-distros.dev.java.net/developer.html
So it's not Arch devs' fault, but OpenJDK devs' fault.

Personally I installed temporally the Java jre-6u5-linux-i586.bin binary package along with the Arch jre 6u4-1 package I made myself, waiting for an update to come.

Last edited by berbae (2008-03-08 14:04:00)

#11 2008-03-08 15:13:26

ganlu

Working group for a package maintainence will be a excellent idea, so there are more interested people involve in the their favorite apps, which I think will lead to a more responsive update.

Board footer