You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-23 19:48:06

aCyd

(Help with a rare LAN setup and) LAMP setup

Hello!

I want to make a LAMP of my newly installed Arch. It's intended for learning and homework only so it will be serving only the other PC in LAN.  The other PC has two network interfaces so one of them will be connected to router and internet and the other to the server. That's also because I'm such a noob with LAN and Apache configurations that I want a "safe" environment to practice, especially ssh and some remote desktop app. Packages can be installed to Arch offline (correct me if I'm wrong) so it won't be allowed to internet and only needs to see the other PC. At the moment the other PC sees Arch but not the other way round.

So what I need to know:

Edit: Nevermind issue 1. I just needed to restart the interface roll ...

1: How can I configure Arch to see the other PC and nothing else? The net is full of instructions how to get to internet, but not how to prevent that. I'm mostly confused about the nameserver and gateway configurations. I understand that the intended setup would prevent Arch from accessing any. Could someone show what to put in each .conf file?

2: Anything I should know about installing and configuring the server apps Apache, MySql and PHP? Eg. to rather install some better apps or something hmm And what should I install for a GUI to them (noob tongue). What would you recommend for remote desktop app? Do I need X to Arch if I use it remotely from the other PC that has X? What if I install the graphical frontends to the other PC?

Answers to any of these questions will be highly appreciated.

Last edited by aCyd (2008-03-24 17:07:37)

#2 2008-03-26 19:47:25

_nalle
Website

Re: (Help with a rare LAN setup and) LAMP setup

Okey, we'll start with the X part. X is not needed for basic functionality such as Apache, MySQL or PHP.

There are some graphical tools for atleast MySQL but I'd recommend you read up on PHPMyAdmin as it is a webbased tool for jerking around in your MySQL database.

Apache in such usually is configured via console/configuration files. One aid in setting up Apache correctly can be using the control utils builtin function configtest (e.x. by executing: apachectl configtest).

There should be no need to install other graphical aids on your other PC though.

PHP is, as Apache, configured via configuration files.
A simple test to see if your PHP version works is running this:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Remote desktop, if needed that is, should be on of the vnc versions (e.x. tightvnc) supplied in the Archlinux repository or X11 Forward, this needs to be enable via a desktop manager (e.x. gdm, xdm or kdm) and you will most likely need to screw around with some forwardings.
X11 Forwarding usually is alot more work than it's worth.

I think that covers your question :-)

Swedish Archlinux Mirror Administrator - ftp.gigabit.nu

Board footer