You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-25 09:10:46

dninja
Website

nfslock won't start because rpc.statd is already running

I have a machine which I occasionally export an NFS share from, because it is infrequent I don't start nfslock and nfsd until I need to.

It has been a while since I last tried to start the two daemons but now when I try to start nfslock it fails. After some debugging I found this is because rpc.statd is already started so when nfslock tries to start it it gets to these lines

21     if [ $? -gt 0 ]; then
 22       stat_fail

and fails. My bash scripting is limited and I don't know what $? means and I can't get anything out of google as it seems to ignore $? in a search term.

Without nfslock being started I can't then start nfsd so the only way I can get my nfs server up and running is to manually kill rpc.statd then run these scripts.

What is wrong here?

#2 2008-03-25 09:54:45

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: nfslock won't start because rpc.statd is already running

Maybe you didn't stop nfslock last time you used it.

#3 2008-03-25 09:58:44

dninja
Website

How should I stop it? I only start it through the rc.d scripts which I though shut down things automatically when the machine is shut down.

On a new boot rpc.statd is running.

These are the daemons I start through rc.conf:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !hotplug !pcmcia network ntpd portmap sshd netfs dbus vmware hal cups gdm)

I've grep'ed through all the files in /etc/rc.d and only nfslock explicitly mentions rpc.statd so I don't know which of these daemons is starting it.

#4 2008-03-25 11:45:49

tomk
Forum Fellow

Are you sure you haven't added a boot-time command for it somewhere - /etc/rc.local maybe? I can't see how it would start by itself....

#5 2008-03-25 11:55:32

dninja
Website

/etc/local is empty.

The following command

find . -type f -exec  grep -H rpc.statd '{}' \;

shows only rc.d/nfslock and a comment in conf.d/nfs about what params to pass to rpc.statd

I am mounting nfs shares off other machines if that matters

Board footer