You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-25 13:22:28

vision

SOLVED: The road to Wicd (from NetworkManager) roadblocks ahead!

I'm using one of the (awful) Broadcom BCM4311 cards, rev 02. My current setup (which works 80% of the time) is using ndiswrapper with networkmanager. The problem with this is that networkmanager does a very sloppy job of handling the ndiswrapper driver, especially in my experience with the card. I've decided I want to switch to Wicd, which features template-based authentication config files (loosely based on wpa_supplicant.)

Sidenote: I actually don't like ndiswrapper and would prefer to use b43 (from the bcm43xx project @ linuxwireless.org) but I have to patch the kernel for that (since I'm using .24) and, try as I might, I can't get ABS to produce a custom kernel package that doesn't try to overwrite existing kernel modules and files (i.e. in /lib) so that option is currently out.

Anyway, the main issue for the moment is that Wicd works great, but I can't get it to connect to my campus network (UNB.) My campus uses TTLS and PAP authentication. NetworkManager handles it alright most of the time, but back when I was using Sabayon on this machine (in the fall) I had wpa_supplicant set up myself and it worked 100% of the time. So here's what I have to do:

1. Get a working wpa_supplicant.conf file
2. Use that .conf file to create a template for Wicd
3. End my misery with NetworkManager forever

Step three relies on steps one and two, step two is easy, and step one poses some problems. I can not get wpa_supplicant working no matter how hard I try. Even after disabling the networkmanager and wicd daemons, I can't get wpa_supplicant to associate with the network. Here's the biggest kicker right now: on Sabayon I used to be able to manipulate the device settings (for wlan0) using iwconfig. Well now, when I type, for example:

sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "Wireless@UNB"

or

sudo iwconfig wlan0 ap 00:15:E8:DF:D6:00

the output of "sudo iwconfig" does not change. That is, the interface for wlan0 stares back at me blankly, with ESSID listed as "off/any" and Access Point listed as "Not Associated." What the hell?

My question(s) to you (god bless you for reading this long post) is/are:

1. Why isn't iwconfig doing anything on the command line? Is this specific to ndiswrapper?
2. Does NetworkManager use wpa_supplicant to configure WPA interfaces, i.e. could I maybe see what options it's using? I know how to configure the interface using nm-applet or knetworkmanager, I just need to be able to translate that knowledge to wpa_supplicant.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate any help you can offer.

Last edited by vision (2008-03-25 14:44:03)

#2 2008-03-25 13:36:04

Endperform
Website

Re: SOLVED: The road to Wicd (from NetworkManager) roadblocks ahead!

Actually I just got my b43 stuff working on my laptop using the standard Arch kernel.  Just follow the directions you find on the linux wireless site to extract the firmware and put it in /lib/firmware (you'll end up with /lib/firmware/b43) and it should work fine.  I don't have my laptop handy right now or I'd have more detail for you.

#3 2008-03-25 14:07:19

vision

Alright, well after some hard work (:D) here's an update.

I have wpa_supplicant working.

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
eapol_version=2
ap_scan=1
network={
        ssid="Wireless@UNB"
        scan_ssid=1
        #key_mgmt=IEEE8021X WPA-EAP
    mode=0
        key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
        eap=TTLS
    pairwise=TKIP
    group=TKIP
        identity="my_username"
        password="my_password"
        phase2="auth=PAP"
}

I'm now trying to get a proper template set up in wicd, which is proving to be incredibly difficult. smile

Endperform wrote:

Actually I just got my b43 stuff working on my laptop using the standard Arch kernel.  Just follow the directions you find on the linux wireless site to extract the firmware and put it in /lib/firmware (you'll end up with /lib/firmware/b43) and it should work fine.  I don't have my laptop handy right now or I'd have more detail for you.

You're using 2.6.24? On linuxwireless.org it claims that you need to patch this kernel for the rev 02 cards to work.. otherwise when you modprobe b43 you get an ssb eror.. what is the output of lspci for your wireless card?

#4 2008-03-25 14:20:30

ph0tios

I have a Broadcom BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)  I've always used ndiswrapper for it...is it possible to make it work with out it?

#5 2008-03-25 14:26:43

vision

ph0tios wrote:

I have a Broadcom BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)  I've always used ndiswrapper for it...is it possible to make it work with out it?

If you have a rev 01 you should be able to get it working using the b43 driver, with no kernel patching (make sure your kernel is 2.6.24.)

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive … fw-b43-old

#6 2008-03-25 14:43:42

vision

UPDATE: Solved. smile By changing the preferences in Wicd to "wext" instead of "ndiswrapper."

All systems go!

#7 2008-03-25 15:04:36

ph0tios

vision wrote:
ph0tios wrote:

If you have a rev 01 you should be able to get it working using the b43 driver, with no kernel patching (make sure your kernel is 2.6.24.)

http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive … fw-b43-old

Thanks, it worked. I'll try it for it a while, and see if it holds up well. I know some people say it is weak compared to using ndiswrapper, but I'll see for myself.

#8 2008-03-25 15:14:36

vision

ph0tios wrote:

Thanks, it worked. I'll try it for it a while, and see if it holds up well. I know some people say it is weak compared to using ndiswrapper, but I'll see for myself.

Definitely let me know how it works out; personally, I like the idea of using an open source driver much more than wrapping an existing Windows one. wink And b43 is rumored to be much better than its predecessor..

#9 2008-03-25 15:36:32

vision

Here are my template files for wicd:

http://thedrop.org/projects/arch64/wireless/wicd/

#10 2008-03-25 15:55:11

ph0tios

vision wrote:
ph0tios wrote:

Definitely let me know how it works out; personally, I like the idea of using an open source driver much more than wrapping an existing Windows one. wink And b43 is rumored to be much better than its predecessor..

So far it is much better than the old driver was. Ndiswrapper was definitely preferable to the old one. B43 doesn't seem quite as snappy as ndiswrapper, BUT I'm not really noticing much of a difference. And on top of that wicd works a lot better for me now. I'm going to use my laptop(instead of my desktop) for the rest of the day, and see how it holds up over an extended period of time. I'll post back if it gives me any problems.

P.S. I think the best part of all is that b43 supports promiscuous mode. big_smile  You use to have to patch bcm43xx, and it obviously doesn't work with ndiswrapper.

#11 2008-03-25 16:13:53

ph0tios

Well, my connection is definitely faster when I use ndiswrapper. I can tell especially when using pacman. I guess I just have to decide whether I want the faster speed, or the functionality.

#12 2008-03-25 17:12:02

vision

ph0tios wrote:

Well, my connection is definitely faster when I use ndiswrapper. I can tell especially when using pacman. I guess I just have to decide whether I want the faster speed, or the functionality.

I read somewhere on the forums that b43 doesn't currently get the range or the speed of ndiswrapper, but is more reliable. Right now my laptop has been jumping through hoops using ndiswrapper & wicd.

Either way, I'm still going to patch my kernel and try out b43 so I can modprobe in one or the other.

#13 2008-03-25 17:31:35

ph0tios

vision wrote:
ph0tios wrote:

I read somewhere on the forums that b43 doesn't currently get the range or the speed of ndiswrapper, but is more reliable. Right now my laptop has been jumping through hoops using ndiswrapper & wicd.

Either way, I'm still going to patch my kernel and try out b43 so I can modprobe in one or the other.

Yeah, sounds like I plan. b43 is definitely more reliable, and the range while not as good as ndiswrapper, is a large improvement over bcm43xx.

I couldn't even get ndiswrapper and wicd to work correctly with any type of encryption..I had to disable wicd and use the commandline. Honestly, the speed isn't really that big of a deal unless you are downloading a larger file. Browsing the web, watching youtube videos, chatting, etc works just as speedily(or at least, the change isn't apparent really).

With ndiswrapper I also had a lot of problems with the connection randomly dropping out and quickly coming back. You don't notice it when you're just browsing the web, but when a flash video is buffering and it just stops or you keep getting disconnected when using pidgin it gets annoying(it didn't seem to phase pacman).  You may have also noticed, using wicd or even the command line after a while iwconfig doesn't want to refresh, and you can't switch to another network until you reboot. So overall, using b43 when you can is a better option if you want consistency and reliability...or you want to crack the neighbor's network wink.

Needless to say, I'm going to stick with b43 as much as I can, and use ndiswrapper only when I have to.

Last edited by ph0tios (2008-03-25 17:37:23)

#14 2008-03-25 17:46:05

vision

ph0tios wrote:

I couldn't even get ndiswrapper and wicd to work correctly with any type of encryption..I had to disable wicd and use the commandline.

Same thing happened for me, might you have set the driver option in the wicd GUI to "ndiswrapper"? Apparently we have to use "wext" instead, even if we ARE technically using ndiswrapper.

ph0tios wrote:

With ndiswrapper I also had a lot of problems with the connection randomly dropping out and quickly coming back... You may have also noticed, using wicd or even the command line after a while iwconfig doesn't want to refresh, and you can't switch to another network until you reboot..

I can echo these problems. I've been using ndiswrapper for a while now and it happens all the time, especially on encrypted networks. It sucks.

Alright, I'm gonna get b43 going and I'll post back with some results.

#15 2008-03-25 22:22:33

ph0tios

For whatever reason...now wicd is no longer letting me connect. Not sure what the problem is, honestly.

Last edited by ph0tios (2008-03-25 23:02:13)

Board footer