You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-25 21:39:07

Izuil

Is arch automaticly blocking my programs?

Well I have a slight problem that I mentioned in the "Newbie Corner" : http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=45827

Now I've started thinking that maybe Arch has some automatic firewall blocking some random stuff for me...

Samba and bittorrent works but mpd and lan over wine doesn't...
Something just gotta be wrong here...

So does Arch have an invisible firewall or is my computer just fucking with me?

#2 2008-03-25 22:42:43

dyscoria

Re: Is arch automaticly blocking my programs?

Izuil wrote:

So does Arch have an invisible firewall

AFAIK, unless you have the iptables daemon running, or are using something like firestarter or guarddog, your system is pretty much open to attack from anyone. I was going to put my money on it being a router problem, but you said that its working fine in windows. The only thing I can think of that would have an effect is /etc/sysctl.conf

I don't know if port forwarding is needed for your uses but try editing this line in /etc/sysctl.conf to look like this:

net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

[edit: i'm no networking expert, but I do know enabling port forwarding and not having a firewall running are not such a great ideas. i'm going to assume you know what your doing. end of disclaimer big_smile]

Last edited by dyscoria (2008-03-25 22:47:16)

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#3 2008-03-25 23:16:06

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Arch doesn't do much with hosts.allow and hosts.deny by default; do the services that are closed need entries in host.allow?

Dusty

#4 2008-03-26 17:04:06

Izuil

I do not have a software firewall enabled although I have a router.
I tried the thing you said in sysctl.conf and tried opening everything in the hosts files and still no go...
Can it have something to do with the fact that it is a windows client trying to connect to the mpd server?

EDIT: Oh yeah I also opened the port in the firewall, not working...

EDIT2: Woho dyscoria I think you fixed it for me! smile Thanks alot smile I tried another client and that one could connect big_smile Thanks alot smile
But I now got another problem tongue It won't play sound at the remote computers but that I might be able to solve myself smile

EDIT3: Oh yeah what did that change in: sysctl.conf  do?

Last edited by Izuil (2008-03-26 18:10:18)

Board footer