You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-27 16:34:53

Sin.citadel

Samba Problems

Hi, i m using archlinux 64 inside a vmware virtual machine, it has no gui and i m using the archlinux virtual machine primarily as a sharing server with samba installed.

i have given access to shared files using vmware's shared folders, and using samba to share them over the network, it works fine and dandy

i m facing these problems,

1) windows vista users cannot copy files from the share to their system, they can run them directly , but cant copy them, the error in the samba.log.machine_name is disk_free: sys_fsusage() failed. Error was Permission Denied , note that the shares themselves are not writable and i have given guest access to these shares with security = share

2) Once a user tries to copy a file, he can get around 5-6 MB/s and it takes up around 60% of my cpu, is there a way in either linux or samba that i can use to limit the speed so that my uplaods go at a speed of say 1 MB/s (so that users actually run the file rather than copying it) . any software, or iptables help can help me a lot on this.

3) i have used disable spoolss = yes, and any other printing disabling feature i can find, but i still cannot stop samba from displaying the Printer share in the share list.

4) %S in samba denotes the service name (or share name), so, why cant i use it in the log file /var/log/samba/%S.%m.log

Aprecieate any help.

Board footer