You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-29 22:03:59

HyperBaton

Samba UID/GID syncing between server/client

I'm very confused about this. I'm trying to get a file share server up and running which is used by several people. I've only configured a Samba server so far for one user to use. The UID and GID of the users do not match on the server and client, and as a result I can't write to the share.

More detailed explanation: The share on the server is owned by user "john" and group "data". The user john has a different UID on the client and the group data does not exist on the client (does it need to exist?). So the share shows up in the client as 1001:1001 and john can't write to it. How can this be fixed in an easy manner? I can't imagine having to manually adjust all uid's and gid's? There has to be an easier way, right?

#2 2008-03-31 18:21:15

dschrute

Re: Samba UID/GID syncing between server/client

You shouldn't need to sync u/gid's. 
The first thing that comes to my mind here is simple filesystem perms.  To test I would make the shared dir world/group readable/writeable - IE chmod 777 /my/shared/folder. then try connecting from the remote client.  Remember, there are two sets of access permissions...Share level and filesystem level.

You can do user/group mapping if you're in a Windows AD or domain environment, but with stand-alone Samba servers this is not necessary.

I would also check the samba check list at the following link for a decent, simple set of items to look at for basic troubleshooting...
http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Sam … nosis.html

Board footer