You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-05 18:50:59

faelar
Website

wireless, dhcp, /etc/resolv.conf

I need advices for the following problem :

I'm on a laptop (eeepc), so I connect to many diffrent wireless APs. At home (for exemple), I use netcfg with a specific profile. I have wicd for everything else.
Connection works 100% of time, but sometimes my /etc/resolv.conf file is not update. What I need to do is to launch :

dhcpcd ath0

It happens for exemple, when I come back from school (DNS --> 10.10.10.1), I'm on my wireless network with the good IP (static : 192.168.1.109). But as I said before, resolv.conf is not updated, I need to launch dhcpcd, and my IP change to the first available (ex : 192.168.100), nut the .conf is ok. I disconnect and reconnect to have the .109 IP.

So I believe running dhcpcd before other network's daemons will solved the problem.

So my questions are :
- What is the "cleanest" way to launch dhcpcd ath0 ? coding a daemon and adding it to rc.conf ? Put something in rc.local ?
- Is dhclient better than dhcpcd ? Should I use another dhcp client ?

Thank you for your help smile

#2 2008-04-05 22:44:29

mfa

Re: wireless, dhcp, /etc/resolv.conf

Hi there.

I don't have a solution to this issue, unfortunately. But I'm having more or less the same problems, here. I'm using dhclient, but the /etc/resolv.conf does not get updated all the time.

However I can be sure, that the router is sending the nameserver when doing an DHCPACK, because I sniffed the network traffic to check this. So I would be curious if someone knew why this happens, too.

Cheers,
mfa

Board footer