You are not logged in.

#1 2008-04-11 04:37:46

kikinovak
Website

Avahi everywhere...

Hi,

I'm currently configuring a lightweight production desktop using Arch, for use in public libraries around here, in replacement of your CentOS 5 desktops. Starting from a base system, I add X11, the XFCE desktop environment, and then applications one by one, given they are needed. I've been a long-time Slackware user before, so I find the KISS philosophy of Arch very appealing.

Well, some details don't seem as KISS as they could be.

Example 1: CUPS. pacman -S cups draws in various stuff, among which avahi. I don't remember this thing being a CUPS dependency.

Example 2: K3B. Since there's no equivalent for burning apps, I've always been using this for burning, the more so since it only needs qt, kdelibs and some multimedia stuff. Same thing here: pacman -S k3b draws in a lot of stuff, among which avahi.

Now I'm pondering: clutter my system, or rebuild CUPS and K3B?

Dyslexics have more fnu.

#2 2008-04-11 05:27:34

baze

Re: Avahi everywhere...

kikinovak wrote:

Hi,
Example 1: CUPS. pacman -S cups draws in various stuff, among which avahi. I don't remember this thing being a CUPS dependency.

zeroconf based detection of printers was added in cups 1.3. finally, imho!

Last edited by baze (2008-04-11 05:27:51)

#3 2008-04-11 05:51:12

kikinovak
Website

Correct me if I'm wrong: zeroconf is the open source equivalent to Apple's Rendezvous?

Dyslexics have more fnu.

#4 2008-04-11 05:57:40

tomk
Forum Fellow

As a general rule, we make packaging decisions based on upstream developments. Looking at your first example, the CUPS devs decided to add zeroconf, as indicated by baze, so we accommodate that decision in our packaging.

If you don't agree with their decision, you are free to rebuild as required, and ABS makes that simple for you.

#5 2008-04-13 18:13:14

baze

kikinovak wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong: zeroconf is the open source equivalent to Apple's Rendezvous?

zeroconf is the name of the technology and bonjour (which was previously called rendezvouz) is apple's implementation. avahi is a gpl implementation of zeroconf.

#6 2008-04-16 06:46:17

kikinovak
Website

As a general rule, we make packaging decisions based on upstream developments. Looking at your first example, the CUPS devs decided to add zeroconf, as indicated by baze, so we accommodate that decision in our packaging.

That makes sense to me. Thanks!

Dyslexics have more fnu.

Board footer